Belt drive paddel shift 1000 +HP

Howard Jones

Supporter
Any thoughts on how a LSD will work with this? I assume that anything that will fit in that 3rd member would work like a regular live axle would. I must take a drive up to see you and your creation one of these days.

You know we might be looking at the first guy into the 9's with a GT40. Could you sort of lock the two transfer shafts together at the center? This would act more like a live axle thus solveing the problem of all IRS rear suspensions when draged raced, camber change. If the left and right sides could turn independantly but on the same plane vertically then it really would be into the single digits. Slap on some drag slicks and look out!!!

The one in the picture has a Detroit soft locker. Road racers will have a black gold.Most of my production is spoken for I am not trying sell any thing yet. But I would like to get an idea of what 3 transmission you would like to see fit, for the future after I meet the commitment I have now.

Well for me I would like the Tremec T56. The gear ratios for the T56 are 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00, .80, .62 By looking at the pic the rear end looks like a ford 9” so if that is the case I would like the ring and pinion to be 3.50:1 if I’m wrong and it’s a ford 8.8 then the 3.55:1 would be ideal. The only other 6 speed that can take the torque of a built V8 that I can think of is the Richmond 6 speed. But I don’t think the gear ratios are as good as the T56 and I believe the box is significantly more expensive. The nice thing with the T56 is that it will bolt up to a 302/351W with out any modifications and uses the standard ford flywheel and clutch.

how it works

Attachments

• 74154-Zdrivecartoon.GIF
    74154-Zdrivecartoon.GIF
    10.5 KB · Views: 5,153

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
BillE

Does the whole lot get covered in some sort of cover?

If not what would happen to the belt if the tyre kicked up some gravel? Presumably destroy the belt and / or sprockets.

That said it looks great and well done for thinking away from the normal transaxel

Ian

Ian,
I would think that since everything is fixed, guards or shields should be easily added without just putting it in a box. I would want as much exposed as possible for the "bling" effect.
Bill

The engine compartment is closed off in our car to the wheel well. But a shield would not be hard to make.

Howard Jones

Supporter
As far as choice of gearboxes goes I think this is a good way to get a automatic into a GT40. One of the early 3 speeds from GM that is used in drag racing would be good for those kind of power outputs. They also have the advantage of no electronics to deal with.

The powerglide? in my buddies drag car has a short tailshaft on it and overall is fairly short in lenght. The only real drawback is that they are pretty heavy.

For street use you could put in a lower speed stall converter than by buddies 3350RPM drag unit.

Damn that thing gonna be fast. Any idea how much the car will weigh?

About 2800 pounds the rear tire is 295/45/R 20 this motor is just shy of 700hp 350 gears. the math looks good its the execution that is the tricky part.

D

DavidTC

Bill E
An ingenious concept but thinking of the problems with gravel and cam belts with the first excursion into the gravel trap at your favourite circuit, is this means of getting power down to the rear wheels even more fragile than the cam belts problem ?.
Have you had any off incidents with this drive solution on the road or track and how do insurance companies view your interesting concept ?
David

This is one of the moss series engines that ran in the UK. we got it from Shun Hiland. after a few moor tweks. It has a two stage dry sump on it now but will have a fore stage soon. It has an Eaten supercharger. Moteck controls and PCS shift Modula. The belts in our car are sealed off from the road for aerodynamic reasons. Bill

Attachments

• 74681-PS4,6.JPG
    74681-PS4,6.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 907

Keith

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of the moss series engines that ran in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you got me intrigued Bill.Could you elaborate please?

moss series I dont know much about the series. Shun told me it was 30 cars identically prepped . The top 3 finishers had to have the engines replaced at some point to prevent cheating.I will chek with him and get moor details. I an still whating on parts for one of our engines.

I have not heard of a 'Moss' series, there was a V8 Eurocar series a while back, not sure if they still run or not but they were all based on similar looking/specified cars.

For spec's Click HERE
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oop's! wrong type - my mistake! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Keith

Then I thought of Andy Rouse's stillborn SCV8 series but they were to use Nicholson McLaren 3.3 DFV's. Hmmm, interesting..... but personally I couldn't see a UK series using the 4.6 modular engine with a supercharger anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and how do insurance companies view your interesting concept ?

[/ QUOTE ]
My first thought when I saw the belts was "eeek". But the thinking about it, I think the only way for someone to get a finger caught in those belts is for the car to be jacked up, the wheels and tail off, the engine running, and the car in gear. Which probably won't be a common situation.

This isn't exactly a new idea. Someone built a car with the exact same drivetrain in the early '90s. It was written up in the Kit Car magazines and I saw the car at a show in Indianapolis. I think it was called the Stradle or some thing like that. The car was supposed to go into production but I never heard any more about it. I have the magazine issues around somewhere with the articles in them. I think the belts that were being used at that time were a little narrower than the ones shown here. The only thing I don't like about this design is that the differential is hanging out back and might be too long for some cars and it puts more weight behind the rear axle. Also what is the combined weight of this setup compared to a conventional transaxle? If a manual transmission is used what kind of linkage would be necessary to shift it? What will be the cost of this design compared to a transaxle that would handle a decent amount of horsepower? I know this might be capable of 1000 HP but how many of us will ever build a car that has that much horsepower? Also what is the overall width? It looks like the axles are going to be rather short if the car's track width is kept to about the same as the original. How about using the new Corvette "transaxle" with this belt drive system so that the engine could be positioned in the correct place for a mid-engine design?

Well dang, before complaining so much, stop and think about it for a minute....

This is a great piece of craftsmanship- I don't think he's marketing it to you, so I doubt he's concerned about your issues;

I think it's pretty obvious that the combined weight is going to be more than a transaxle- it's an automatic transmission, after all.... I can't believe that a Ford 9-inch third member hanging out back is going to extend the polar moment too much- after all, the transmission weight will somewhat offset that, anyway-

Don't need a system capable of 1000 hp? All I ever see are complaints about transaxles that WON'T handle enough power.... so if you're going to require less horsepower, why not stick with an Audi setup? The Corvette setup is nothing special, so rather pointless for this set up- it's the same trans, different case. Short axles- as long as the angularity of the joints isn't excessive, which I doubt would be the case with a relatively small wheel travel- are easier to make stronger than long axles- a definite plus with this set up.

Dunno if this setup has been done before, in whatever freaky-deak magazine- and I don't see that he's claiming an original design... then again, Bangle is taking credit for 50 yr old styling cues- everything gets reinvented eventually.

I see a stone pass thru the belt drive in my Harleys every now and then- they seem to survive it ok.

I hope you keep us up to date on your progress with this system- beautiful work, and personally envy your resources to craft such a system!

Back