Best GT40 replica for racing

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor Taylor used to campaign a well sorted GTD here in the UK. I think it had a fairly high power engine (Mathwall?) and was quite successful but I can't remember the series he used to run in.

Driver input as has been said will have a huge effect on laptimes.

At the Goodwood Revival I've seen originals putting in times of around 1min 24s per lap and that is quick!. It used to be said that as a novice, getting below 1 min 40s was a target for what were basically road GT40s (mainly GTDs) although with a little additional setup and improvement in setup, getting below 95s would be quick now.

I should add that at the Revival they are running on period rubber, with period brakes etc, although they are often very light. eg sub 900kg.

My own fastest lap there is just under 90s as a flying lap and just over as a standing start (that was scary!:shocked2: ) - both in Roy Smart's GTD40.

Now, to put them in perspective, I'm not sure what Martin Weigold's fastest lap at Goodwood is, I'd suspect it's about the same as me, but when Mike Wildes (Professional driver) jumped into '6 GTD' for a few laps, with Martin as a passenger, within a couple of laps he was SUB 90s!! (86s I think) and Martin came in with eyes like saucers and was amazed at what Mike could achieve in a car he was driving for the first time and in what seemed a very relaxed manner in the cockpit.

So, with modern brakes, engines, tyres etc, I'd expect a rep to be quicker in the right hands. Unfortunately the right-hands are not mine, seems the older I get, the quicker I was, (or should that read the older I get the 'braver' I was) although I may test that next year when I try a bit of circuit racing too.

Anyway, whatever you decide, putting it on track and pushing yourself and the car will give you an immense amount of pleasure and those spectating will love it too... enjoy! :thumbsup:

Trevor Taylor used to campaign a well sorted GTD here in the UK. I think it had a fairly high power engine (Mathwall?) and was quite successful but I can't remember the series he used to run in.

Trevor Taylor campaigned in the SRGTC. If memory serves, his car was very well sorted and a dedicated track only 40 with a SBC running well in excess of 500BHP. Apparently he was quick.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't know about you chaps, but I have no race experience at all- although I plan to attend driving school this coming year and at least get a toe wet and see if I like it. That said, if I like it, I am not going to put my GT40 on the track; I've spent too much time and money to get it where it is, and it would break my heart if I banged it up. If I decide to race, I'll get a Miata or something like that and bash it around. If I break that, it's no big deal as long as I don't get broken also. Getting another Miata isn't difficult. Repairing a 1951 white male is more difficult. Spares are getting hard to come by.

racing a GT40 replica is cost prohibitive for most of us and there is always the risk of damage if you are going to be competitive. Polishing your pride and joy and going for a relaxed sunday drive and drawing admiiring looks from other road users is a novelty initially,but soon wears off. You are never reallly going to fully enjoy the car and explore its potential until you take it to a track day. I have been doing regular track days for the last 2 years in my CAV GT40 and its addictive. Its not racing, but you can test yourself and the car in a relatively safe environment.

I am curious as to how many replica owners do regular track days.

Track days are a great way to get to know your car at speeds higher than you can safely drive on public roads. And, as noted above, track days are pretty civilized in terms of not trading too much paint during the course of the day.

I've done a lot of track days with the local porsche and alfa clubs. These are two good groups that are pretty gung ho w/o being too uptight. It's as much about the comraderie as the going fast. Personally, I'd stay away from track days with the ferrari bunch as there are (surprisingly) a lot of slow moving cars - folks babying their cars - and a lot of uptight drivers who freak if you get w/in 10 feet of their car on the track. And, if you're driving a 400+hp GT40 then track days with the Ugo or Morris Minor club leave you driving around other cars like they're course cones...

Finally, keep in mind your insurance stops at the gate....

Glenn M

Supporter
I totally agree. I think track days give you a whole new insight into what your 40 can do and where they came from without the added risks of competition. Not for everyone, of course, and each to their own, but they do give a real buzz.

I have done many around the UK and had a great trip to Spa with Malcolm earlier in the year which was truly fantastic.

I took my Southern GT to the Octane magazine track day at Goodwood last Thursday and had a brilliant day. It was one of those rare days when everything goes right, including the weather despite being nearly into November. The car just felt superb and I got down to 92 second laps. However it got better, I got their tame test driver to pedal it with me as a passenger and he was doing 88s! I was quite glad when the chequered flag came out to end that session! Although it was an amazing experience. Best of all though was when I asked him his opinion on which direction to go regarding suspension etc. (as it is all factory settings at the moment) he said ' don't change a thing'. I felt 10 foot tall!

So yes, trackdays? It's what 40's are for IMHO.

Glenn

Back