Big GT40 element at film festival

Just a quick reminder that we have a lot of GT40 footage in the Legends of Le Mans Film Festival, coming up soon on Saturday March 7th, including:
  • some '63 footage of the Lola Mk 6 GT being modified in the paddock after being rejected by scrutineers.
  • shots of the cars in 64 lining up for scrutineering
  • a film 'Race Day' about the 1966 race
  • a film 'Never Start Something You Can't Stop' about the 1968 race
  • extracts from La Ronde Infernale, a film about the 1969 race
  • guest speaker Jackie Oliver, JW-Gulf GT40 driver at Le Mans in 1968 and winner in 1969
  • Richard Attwood, works race and development driver in 1964 (and driver of the Lola in '63)
  • David Piper, who drove the GT40-derived Mirage at Le Mans in 1967
  • Richard Bray, who was mechanic on the winning JW-Gulf GT40 in 1969 and was on the team in 1968 when they won as well.
It really is a one-time only opportunity to hear first-hand recollections of the GT40's development and racing history and see film of the cars, all together. Plus you will have the opportunity to mingle and chat with the guest speakers during the day and put questions to them in our Q&A session.

Hope to see some of you there. BTW tickets are available in advance only, we are not really geared up to sell them on the day!

Cheers

Michael

Am I missing something?

Where is it? Where do you order tickets and how much?

Brian.

Well done Brian, you have spotted the deliberate mistake! Doh...

The event is taking place at Eynsham Hall near Witney in Oxfordshire. To book tickets and find out more information about it, the event website can be found at www.legendsfilmfestivals.com.

And we will be filming the guest speaker panel session for posterity...

Hope to see some of you there.

Cheers

Michael

Last edited:

Dave Collins

Supporter
Looks like it will be a very interesting event. I have just booked my ticket so look forward to meeting anyone from GT40EC and forum on Saturday.

Dave

Would have loved to attended but I will be at Action for the London Transport open day curtesy of my wife.
Can you post the interview on this forum???
Regards Allan

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Great event and brilliant venue.

Verey interesting comments from those that were there and driving / fixing cars at the time.

I'd love a complete set of the films and interviews for posterity but I believe they are not readily available

Ian

I agree with you Ian it was a really good day. Michael put on a great event at a really nice venue. It was a long day for Gill and I ( up at 4.30am and arrived home at 10.15pm ). I would have liked to have talked to David Piper and Richard Attwood but the day was over too soon, as tends to happen with these things. Had a chat with Jackie Oliver though when he was looking at my car. Kev.

Brian Magee

Supporter
An excellent day and wonderful films.

Here is Jackie Oliver (with his eyes closed) with Kevin's car.

Attachments

• Jackie Oiver 1.jpg
    Jackie Oiver 1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 345
Nice one Brian, thanks for posting the pic. While talking to Jackie I asked him if he knew why the number circle on the rear deck had a piece cut out of it. I had copied it on my car and have often been asked why it was like that. He said he didnt know so he asked Richard Bray (one of the mechanics who looked after 1075) who was standing behind my car. I had always wondered why it was like that and assumed it was to keep the French scrutineers happy because the reflective circle would be visible from behind where it went up over the hump of the wheel arch and might be interpreted as a white light shining to the rear. Wrong,"it ripped when we put it on so we left it like that", he said. Priceless, its little gems like that that make these events so good. Kev.

Kev - and I think you got Jackie to sign your door.
Can't be many GT40's out there with that distinction. I thought your car looked great

Glad everybody seems to have enjoyed themselves - even I did and I was organising it!

Ian you are right, it would be nice to be able to put the films out as they are on DVD but sadly we don't own the copyright...

However, we did film the guest speaker session and plan to put out a DVD of it as we did with the Jim Clark event last year.

Also, the 1968 and 1969 films are both commercially available - the 68 Ferodo film is from Terrific Stuff Ltd (they have a website) and the 69 film is available from Duke (La Ronde Infernale), although I guess most GT40 owners have probably already got this! The 66 documentary with the minimal narration is a Shell film which is held at the National Motor Museum and not available for sale to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks again to Kevin for bringing his car and for Dick T for putting me in touch with him.

Michael

Thanks Chris for your kind comments. Yes Jackie did sign my drivers door on the window cill, inside so it doesnt get rubbed off hopefully.
Thanks again to Michael for all his hard work putting on a great event at a really nice venue. Kev.

Judging by the smoke rising above the windows I think Ian's Dax needs a new set of rings.

"Priceless"

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Paul

Thanks for posting
Smoke? Yes it puffs a little on start but I believe the cloud came from starting a diesel pickup that had blocked me in when loading a Lotus or MGB

Ian

Back