Block dating

Hi

I know the block that I have is 1986 as the code by the starter motor has E6 but in the UK we have a cut off point for the emissions, up to July '86 it's 4.5 and from August it is 3.5. Is there a way to trace which month in that year the block was produced?

Any help is appreciated.

Geoff

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
There is a casting date on the block that consist of a number(year) letter(month, no I is used) and another number(day), so something like 6L23 would be either 1966,76,86( depending on the casting number of the block) November 23. If you locate a alphanumeric # that is it. They also have shift codes cast in as well, although unneccesary for your needs.

Hi

Thank you for the reply
The numbers I have are (by the starter motor) E6SE S13A 10 (10 in big letters) and by the bell housing flange 5M7 as in my first post I think the E6SE is 1986.
Is the 5M7 the number you refer to, if it is would this be 1985 DECEMBER 7th? or do I have the wrong number.

Confused!!

Thanks again for any help

Geoff

Hi again

Maybe this photo will help to identify the correct year as I'm confused as to whether it's an 1986 or an 1985 engine.

Thanks again
Geoff

Attachments

• 61n.jpg
    61n.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 329

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
That is the right code and date of casting. It is, however, a 1986 casting #. What that means is that it was first used ( the casting) in 1986. Since production of cars starts prior to the calendar year some have to be cast prior to the date. 1986 cars get produced from about Aug. '85 until sometime in early 1986. and then it begins again for the next year model. The block was apparently used in an early 1986 car , so had to be cast in '85. Most casting is done year round so that's why the date codes run in every month.

Back