Brighton Results SUB 12seconds???

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
Yep - Roy really showed the rest how to do it!
Thinking on Rons remarks, I tried launching at higher (<3000) rpm than usual (< 2000) in second gear and promptly left two very long and black stripes from the start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, did you have slicks or not?

JP, sorry to hear about your troubles with the car. It'll be sorted though, and hope to see it run one day myself there. Don't let that ape get you...

R

Hi Ron -

We had 25" diameter / 11" wide AVON slicks that were fairly soft. launching at about 2900-3000 rpm - I left two black lines about 40 yards long! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good fun bit not very quick. I tweeked things down a bit for the timed runs..

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Roy's run must have been impressive, and I wish I was there to see it! I note that although Roys time was so much lower than the others, his terminal speed was similar. I think this also indicates that an even better run is possible. no?

regards
Dave

Yep - we both think so.

After seing how much more power we had in practice, we were trying to work out how to put it down best. Roy had noticibly spun the wheels when he shifted to third and we even considered pulling off in third leaving just one shift to 4th... although we thought that the caution required in attempting this would negate any advantage we might gain.

In hindsight and looking at the data from Roy's 11.83 run, he pulled off in second and short-shifted to third almost immediately at approx 3000 rpm. He then short shifted again to 4th at approx 5000rpm.

I suspect that the high torque available from his motor worked best being shifted at lower rpm, so that instead of having to lift to avoid wheelspin, more power could be applied in the higher gear giving a better rate of acceleration despite the higher load.

This is all IMHO as I am no expert! - although we both think that another couple of 10ths could be saved (11.5s??) if we visit a true drag strip as opposed to a public road, as the grip level is likely to be better.

Any thoughts? - from you true drag racers out there????

I demand a re-match!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lets go to Santa Pod for the day!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul,

I'll have to ask how many degrees you advanced to run that fuel. I'm getting me some Sunco 112 RON to mix with Optimax.

Ron Earp

Admin
Brighton must have a strange surface. 11" slicks are pretty good, and if cleaned and heated well (I don't suppose you have a water box there do you?) then I think they would stick pretty good and allow a higher RPM launch. And, keep you from having to short shift to avoid wheelspin.

I'd like to see what that car would do at a real strip. I think it'd run very well indeed. Maybe the GTD club needs to organize a 1/4 mile outing before the season ends??? Sounds like fun!!!

R

Ron,

The surface at Brighton is crap. They realy need to re-surface the start area, I bet most guys lose about 0.25-0.5sec because of it.

Regards,

J.P

Malcolm

Supporter
It can't be that bad as my 64 ft time recorded on my final run was the best I have ever recorded, by about 1/10th second. Shame I screwed up the next gear change....

Hi Ron -

Malc's was 2.08 I believe - trouble with getting very fast 64ft times is, if you do it in 1st gear, very often the rev's are then too high to easily select 2nd - a possible reason for Malc's missed 2nd.

Also - re Malcs comment about grip not being too bad - Roys 40 was breaking traction in 3rd, which is not something you would expect on slicks...

Finally - for anyone interested, below is a picture of the road surface (ignore the broken driveshaft coupling off of Daves R42 - Yep he did another - or rather Roger did - oop's) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Attachments

• 44018-brightonroad.JPG
    44018-brightonroad.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 289

Malcolm

Supporter
My 64 ft was 2.08 as Paul says above but it was third gear I missed. Wow, did the air go blue in the cockpit after that. Even though that was a great launch for me, it would not put me into Roy's league for an overall time although I would have hoped with 2.08 64 ft to have broken my own personal best and got to say 12.5, give or take a smidgen. I played around with my damper settings for this run and I think it made a big difference.

Having now recieved the official results from the Brighton & Hove Motor Club, it is confirmed that Roy came 10th Overall with 11.83s, and Ian came 11th with 11.87s, out of a field of 175 entrants. Very well done to both of them, Frank

Ron Earp

Admin
Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Good job fellows!

That surface looks hard and rough and high. As in the tire doesn't really have full contact. Add some moisture and that looks like it'd be really slick. Definitely NOT what I'm used to seeing at the strip. We've got nice flat soft and sticky track that hooks up extremely well. Brighton looks difficult.

What was the fastest time and what was it done with?

Ron, Fastst car 2004 was Jim Tiller in 10.20s in a J2 ALLARD (7342CC) Fastset bike was Phil Wood on a Suzuki Katana in 8.87s. Historically, the fastest 1/4 mile time was 8.90s in a SPA Judd GV10 in 1993. I still think Roy and Ians times were very good, Frank

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, I agree... that is why I said that they can expect a few tenths better time in the 1/4mi. Because of the surface they run on they would have to get the launch just right to get the best posible time for that track and even with that they would get a few tenths handicap if you are comparing their track to USA dragstrips. So I say again, very well done!

Ron Earp

Admin
I think that their problem is surface, for sure. I would LOVE to see what they would turn on a good surface, but I don't think dragstrips dot the landscape in the UK like they do here. Hell, within 45 miles of my house there are four strips, if I included a little longer range I've have six or seven.

Ron

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Re: SUB 12seconds Practice

<a href="http://sdweb.com/musclecars/index2.htm" target="_blank">htp://sdweb.com/musclecars/index2.htm</a>
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back