Buell Motorcycle - HD cans Buell

As a Buell owner I am truly saddened by the loss, and will never set foot in another chromosexual establishment again.

It is a shame.

But the good news is there are several Buell dealers in my neck of the woods, and there is a beautiful brand new yellow XB12R sitting unsold for 7K!

Who knows maybe HD will sell the rights, tooling etc. to a bunch of enterprising venture capitalists who like to road race!

Attached is a pic of my wife's sportster 883 with nitrous.

Mike

Attachments

• sportster5.jpg
    sportster5.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 257

Ron Earp

Admin
Who knows maybe HD will sell the rights, tooling etc. to a bunch of enterprising venture capitalists who like to road race!

Maybe that will happen and as someone else mentioned perhaps we haven't seen the last of Erik Buell. I'm not even sure Erik even "owns his name" anymore. When HD bought his operation up it seems I remember something about that aspect of the deal.

Buell was making the tubers for a long time before HD became involved. And when HD did become involved it did help the operation. He got access to support, engineering and so on in the form of money and the products expanded and seemed to flourish. Oh well. They didn't sell as well as HD cruisers and HD branded products, that is for certain, or they'd still be around today.

If you really want to cruise in authentic style then buy an old (original) Indian Chief like my grandad rode all through the 1940s. None of the HD mass marketing hype and groupie halloween costumes, just a cool old bike and you.

Hasn't Indian been jump started a bunch of times? Last I remember they were here in NC but I haven't seen much of their cycles in the rags.

That one you have there is pretty cool.

Ron,you're pretty close on the H-D power rating - I recall seeing some horsepower curves in the catalogs comparing stock to modified with Screaming Buzzard parts and the stock 88" motor was about 58hp. You can get a lot more horses out of it but most methods employ huge displacement increases along with heads, cams and carbs. The beauty of the HD is the low end torque. You don't have to row it around town with the shift lever,it pulls from idle to top,not real hard, but enough to walk away from most 4 wheel iron and sounds pretty good doing it. My corner carving days are long past but I admit to scraping the pegs (or something) a few times. Kind of like road racing a '58 Buick..... I know what it is and don't go where it won't. As long as you don't try to make it what it is not, you're OK. And...... I can sell it for almost what I paid for it - try that with your Kamazoomie zxgrt-14.3. (I own a Kaw too so don't even start with me) I, too, am sorry to see Buell go and hope it survives in some form.

Ron Earp

Admin
But the good news is there are several Buell dealers in my neck of the woods, and there is a beautiful brand new yellow XB12R sitting unsold for 7K!

Same here in Raleigh NC. I was out at a get together last night and a fellow had just picked up a brand new one for about 65% of list price. Amazing and a great deal.

Was also talking to a fellow who didn't know about Buell but owned HDs all his life. He was asking me about the motor in the Buell and was wanting to know which HD motor would be in a bike that looked like a Buell, "is it the big twin?" he asked. No I replied, it is the one that actually makes some power and torque and doesn't weigh a ton. I thought he was going to hit me but we ended up getting along really well and had a good evening.

Back