building a replica from a 3d model ?

ok lets say i want to build a gt90, and i got it in 3d model.
cant i just get it cnc cut and then mold ? sorry I'm new to this.

Are u sure isnt maybe more useful a scale model of the actual car?.
Right now I am selling the revell audi r8 street car to a company I knew when I was the truck driver for Jas-Honda motorsport,chatting with the owner cause I also already had the modelling shop,and he remind this.
This Company is the best italian one working carbon fiber for race cars (supplier of WTCC and Fia GT serie),and they are preparing a special carbon fiber set for the new Audi jewel.
I asked theme if wasnt better work with a 3d model, and they told me they are already doing it since several months, but need also something REAL for the pre production tests.
With 15 dollars u get a very very accurate model of the actual vehicle (when available... )

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/lola-t70-lounge/19604-canamsa-sa-stratch-build.html

hi, in this threat you can see what people can do, if they had ideas and a dream, i think you get all answers in this threat, to build a car from a modell, ......

if you had a real 3 D construktion from the car and iff you had a 3- or 5- axis router, you can made a negativ, so you save time, if you had a router you can work big parts, you can use foam like in the link http://www.sika-tooling.com/print/Overviewbrochure_1106.pdf , and you can use the mould-gel and prepare it with the router, so you can made a perfect negativ-mould, only with machines.

it´s not an easy work, but its effektive, fast, and precise like the 3D construktion is made.

TEAM JUST

ok why are they using wood ? cant you get a CNC cutter to cut a full scale car in foam, and then fiberglass over it ?

Thanks for the credit just

Cutting the whole body in foam would be much easier than what I have done, but it depends on getting access to a 3 (or 5) axis machine big enough to cut the whole body. Which I didn't, at least not at the right price or local to me.

Okay, you could do it in pieces, on a smaller machine but you would still have to then join the bits together.

Also:

You would have to buy a much bigger quantity of foam (and I got my blocks gratis out of offcuts)
bigsmile.gif

Once you push the button on the CNC machine, you can't change your mind
bigsmile.gif
bigsmile.gif

I kinda liked the idea of doing it the old way myself
bigsmile.gif
bigsmile.gif
bigsmile.gif

And if it still does not make sense, does building a whole car yourself make sense anyway??
bigsmile.gif
bigsmile.gif
bigsmile.gif
bigsmile.gif

Cheers

Fred W B

I have had many guys thru my shed/shop who all suggest using 3d-cnc et all, rather than doing it the hard way---- not one has yet gone away and done anything -yet. Its a sad fact of life when it comes to this stuff, there are more talkers than doers, still why should we complain, just remember to factor in some 'development time' when they start to open up their pockets Fred.

well i like to pay for stuff to be done instead of doing them myself. i have a couple of cars I'd like to own gt90, reventon, zonda. I'm ready to put in the time to build them and maybe make some money selling kits. anymore tips ?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Yes. Start with a shed load of money and be prepared to end up with an empty shed.
You asked for tips and that is a serious tip.

Back