Cable Gearchange, HELP!!!!!!!

jonathans said:
I did notice the gate being reversed. It would seem that there are a number of ways to fix that with the same basic design. For example you could connect the cables above the pivot point on the stick rather than below it. Another would be to connect the cables in front instead of behind the stick. Obviously these would all require fabrication.

I agree. It's a matter of a very simple design change. Why anyone would intentionally design it this way is beyond me. Also, I think I would opt to fix the gear lever base in a spherical bearing and another at the link. I still like the simultaneous action concept however.

Andy

I take your point Tony that the GTD cable change set up may not be the most popular or indeed the right way forward for my car. However this is a temporary solution for me. During next winter I need to update my rear suspension layout to the more desirable C type design. At this point I will most certainly go for Franks rod gear change he has shown me. This looks very robust and well engineered so that is my plan.

I did have a go at doing my own rod set up with only limited success. I am not an engineer and have never undertaken such a project like my KVA before. I can tell you I have been trying very hard since I started. This has all been a learning curve for me and the cable set will help me use the car for now untill I my future modifications are started.

Simon

Cable Gear Change Help!!!!

When you guys talk about GTD cable set ups, remember that GTD had the home grown type of there own design with the machined ali gate but also had an adaptation of Lotus components that was originaaly developed for center shift apps. I find the Lotus type works very well and uses a pretty standard shift pattern that progresses from left to right with reverse on the right.

I installed my cable gearchange set up last night and I have to say it works perfectly. It was more than easy to install in my KVA (with all the ready made brackets) and only took minimal adjustment to get it right and select all of the gears. Once again a big thank you to Frank Catt for all of his assistance. I was able to have my first drive yesterday which was great and this would not be the case without his help. I would have still been messing around in two weeks time trying to sort out my gear change. My KVA is at last finished ready to go back on the road.

From what I can see the cable set up is not difficult to use and the directional movement through the gate is better than I could have hoped for. In fact you have a great deal of feel when changing gear. Forward, back and side to side movement engages the Renault box very well. For road use I think that this set up is more than adequate.

When I do my chassis modifications next year I will then update this to Wealdens rod change. For now I am more than happy to have brought my project to a conclusion.

Thanks all for the pictures, help and advice.

Regards

Simon

Back