cable shifter

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Chuck,

Thanks for pics.

I can appreciate the concept of pulling down the door edge and applaud CAV for creating what appears to be a system that creates a tight seal but, I don't like the idea of the "raw" edge ready to scalp driver or passenger...What about a redesign of the piece attached to the door that would have a rolled leading edge ( need a longer piece rolled down and back around a mandrel, then mandrel removed) and then some rubber bumper type plugs at the open ends of the formed round tube...With something like that there wouldn't be any sharp knife edge .

Other than the fact that the SPF door doesn't seal in certain spots (which can likely be corrected by the "original" rubber gasket that Frank Catt sourceed for the 2 UK SPF's) is there another complaint?...

Door closure alignment should not be a problem due to SPF's use of a door striker with a "V" lead in that self aligns and properly positions the door to prevent the leading door edge from hitting the eyebrow....Do you have a problem there?

I think with a better door gasket (if the car needs it as some of the SPF's have a tight seal as delivered) and proper door/ striker alignment along with either a 3M piece along the door lead in edge or I like a lot Dimmi's SS door edge cap(waiting for Dimi to give us some more details such as SS gauge and fab process) to prevent scuffing the SPF design w/b OK....Agree or do I have it wrong?

ps...Is your door aligned correctly?..If panel lines are even all around yes but, if the door can be lowered at front hinge and at rear by moving the striker plate down the seal would close up.

Steve

Last edited:
no doubt I can work on the alignment some, however this does seem to be a commom problem with the SPF cars. I have had no problem with the CAV solution hitting my head as the pics make the SS plate look lower than it really is. I think Dimi's solution is a good way to go as it keeps the scuffing problem at bay and if designed correctly should push the leading edge down. Thicker gaskets would help also.

Thank you Chuck, now I don't have to go try and take a pic in the poor lighting of my garage!

Steve, all I did was fab up these "door tongues" in a slightly heavier guage of stainless with a little larger foot on the door tongue to more positively located it all when closed. I also added some felt to the face of the tongue so the tongue and the spider mounted receiver don't rattle too much going over bumps. Works pretty effectively and keeps the exterior door top clean with no need for an eye brow (personal choice, I realize).

Back