California

California is on the verge of an unprecedented, and perhaps disastrous, fiscal mess that nobody in Sacramento seems to be willing to address seriously:

Lawmakers have been borrowing and deferring debts for the past decade merely to close their annual deficits, and those bills will soon come due. The legislature has raided $4.3 billion from special funds and deferred $10 billion in constitutionally required payments to schools.

The state has also borrowed $10 billion from Uncle Sam to pay for jobless benefits and $313 million this year from the state disability insurance trust fund for debt service on those federal loans. Democrats have proposed replenishing the state’s barren unemployment insurance trust fund by raising payroll taxes on employers. Expect that to happen now.

Then there’s the more than $200 billion in unfunded liabilities the state has accrued for worker retirement benefits, which this year cost taxpayers $6.5 billion. The California State Teachers’ Retirement System says it needs an additional $3.5 billion and $10 billion annually for the next 30 years to amortize its debt.

The state has $73 billion in outstanding bonds for capital projects and $33 billion in voter-authorized bonds that the state hasn’t sold in part because it can’t afford higher debt payments. Unissued bonds include $9.5 billion for a bullet train, which will require $50 billion to $90 billion more to complete. Sacramento will also need more money to support an $11 billion bond to retrofit the state’s water system, which is planned for the 2014 ballot.

In this kind of environment, one would think that a competent opposition party would be able to make the case that the party in charge, which has been the Democrats for the past two decades for the most part, have failed to govern the state effectively. The problem is that the GOP isn’t exactly innocent in the collapse of California’s fiscal situation. They’ve controlled the Governorship for a large part of the past 20 years even as the Democrats dominated the legislature, and neither Pete Wilson nor Arnold Schwarzenegger did much of anything rein in the insanity that was going on in Sacramento. The same thing that's happening in the Federal government. "Until you run out of other peoples money"

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
If a plain ordinary citizen of the U.S. used the kind of 'creative bookkeeping' techniques that city, county, state and federal gov'ts use - he'd go to jail AND pay a hefty fine.

Howard Jones

Supporter
There is a state senate bill working its way through committee that mandates a state wide vehicle composite gas mileage figure that would require that the cars sold in California achieve a DOUBLEING in average fleet wide gas mileage over the next 15 years.

By ya all.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
If a plain ordinary citizen of the U.S. used the kind of 'creative bookkeeping' techniques that city, county, state and federal gov'ts use - he'd go to jail AND pay a hefty fine.

Sure and going by the above he could get the money to pay the fine without any penalty either so basically no responsibility

Sorry guys that sucks

Howard no wonder you want to migrate!

Ian

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
There is a state senate bill working its way through committee that mandates a state wide vehicle composite gas mileage figure that would require that the cars sold in California achieve a DOUBLEING in average fleet wide gas mileage over the next 15 years.

...and yet 'the people' continue to re-elect the same clowns over and over and over again.

'Amazing...

They are like an irresponsible 20 year old with a bunch of new credit cards. Spend like hell with no thought of how it will be paid back. A bad time is coming for California and our government if they don't get the spending in check. And we will be the ones to pay for it, not the irresponsible politicians.

What I honestly don't understand, is why California's electorate keeps voting in the same irresponsible people, they should be in jail, not public office. But then I feel the same about Federal government elections.

Howard Jones

Supporter
IMHO.............either they (Californian's) are either just plain stupid, here for the free ride, planning to leave before the shit hits the fan, work for the government, true commie believers, gone already.

By the time they double the MPG, the price of fuel will have doubled or more. They refuse to use our resources sighting spill, conservation, wildlife or other green causes. Using our own is a lot better than one super tanker spill.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have come to the sad and cynical conclusion that politicians no matter what their persuasion are total irresponsible arsewipes who don't give a toss for the people who vote for them and are only intent upon lining their pockets with our money.

I agree Pete -- The thought of a governing body doing what is right for their constituents is a thing of the past. Now if a lobbyist comes along...that's another story.

Throw in a pinch of extremism (regardless of party affiliation) and you have the primordial soup that we have today.

Excuse me while I go back to my bubble now.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
To me, the California legislators are following the example set for them in Washington DC.
I see very little difference in what the two groups of bandits are doing...

I love my country for what it once was and pray daily that somehow it will be able to return.
Right now, I am embarassed and ashamed of what we have become.... :(

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...They refuse to use our resources sighting spill, conservation, wildlife or other green causes.

'Zackly. After all, it's far better if whatever consequences that might result from energy production occur in OTHER countries...innit. "NIMBY forever" should be the greenies' motto...

I have come to the sad and cynical conclusion that politicians no matter what their persuasion are total irresponsible arsewipes who don't give a toss for the people who vote for them and are only intent upon lining their pockets with our money.

That's not a "cynical conclusion"...it's an accurate observation.

Back