Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 the rear wing and rear clam install?

***This is for the race tail version***

Mostly because I'm an idiot and need some hand holding.

1. I've got the little round hinges for the inner part of the rear clam that attaches near the tail lights. I assume I have to fab up a bar that runs along the bottom sides of the clam under the lights to support it, but unsure how to make it strong enough.

2. I know how the rear wing plates go onto the diffuser, that's pretty clear to me, but not sure how it attaches to the wing itself. Is the wing strong enough to drill and tap into with a plate or will I need to have a nutsert or something similar?

Just having a hard time visualizing it... this pic is helpful, but would like to see the inside part, how it is fastened to the body.
Superlite_SLC_DiffuserCombo_zps067470d8.jpg

Thanks everyone. My brain hurts.

I'll check on that when I get home. I'm not sure mine has those inserts.

Still curious about the underside of the rear clam and how that mounts to the diffuser.

Your wing, not being carbon has aluminum plates on the ends, inside the wing itself(not visible) and you can drill and tap to your hearts content...the carbon are similar but are predrilled

The tail hinge just bolts to the body through the two holes in the billet....simple as can be.

Your wing, not being carbon has aluminum plates on the ends, inside the wing itself(not visible) and you can drill and tap to your hearts content...the carbon are similar but are predrilled

The tail hinge just bolts to the body through the two holes in the billet....simple as can be.

Well dang! That's great news!

Final question... You talked about the end plates having plates in them... how about the wing mount itself? Do those holes (to the upright supports) have plates in them as well?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's an idea. I sandwiched the fiberglass between two strips of aluminum. Nice and strong!

Attachments

• HPIM1274.jpg
    HPIM1274.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 305
  • HPIM1275.jpg
    HPIM1275.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 337
  • HPIM1278.jpg
    HPIM1278.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 277
Can someone attach a pic of the bracket that attaches the wing to the uprights (race tail)? I didn't run across anything that looks like it would do the trick and I am nearly ready for it.

cheers,

Craig

Eric.. Take some photos and document the process for Fran and Will so the tail/wing sub-assembly can be added to the build manual. :idea:

Michael Fling

Supporter
Any idea how far out the aluminum plate extends from the center? Also, what is the dimension of the plate. My wing uprights are much farther apart than the factory uprights.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's what I think you are asking. The mounts on the wing it self are farther apart than the two center vertical plates on the OEM diffuser. I wanted to run the mounts for the wing vertically without a wider flare at the top so I made my own wing mount.

As an added bonus it can be removed from the car without removing the diffuser or the rear body section. I did need to find wider chassis mount points so you can see what I did. The whole thing is .065 CM so it's pretty light.

Attachments

• HPIM1246.jpg
    HPIM1246.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 227
  • HPIM1245.jpg
    HPIM1245.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 237
  • HPIM1250.jpg
    HPIM1250.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 243
  • HPIM1251.jpg
    HPIM1251.jpg