Carb / Ignition Woes on a 351 - Help bring a Cleveland back to life

Ron Earp

Admin
You guys are the smartest troubleshooters I know. Let’s troubleshoot.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I have a 72 Ford Tornio with a 351, 4bbl carb, and points ignition. It ran fine. Well, it ran ok. But it ran. Notice past tense verb use.<o:p></o:p>
While awaiting for my big block build to get firmed up I thought I’d rebuild the 4bbl carb and convert to a Pertronix electronic ignition. I’ve rebuilt 4bbls before and converted cars to Pertronix setups with no problems. <o:p></o:p>
So I got a Holley rebuild kit and a Pertronix for a Ford. This is a CJ big head engine but it is not wearing the original carb nor the original dual points dizzy. I do have the original dual points dizzy but I imagine the original carb got lost in the 36 odd years since the car was built. Carb looks like a 600 cfm and did work. I digress.<o:p></o:p>
The Pertronix install was straight forward. Remove points, install Pertronix, set magnet gap, done deal.<o:p></o:p>
The carb build was relatively straightforward. Remove, disassemble, scrape a lot of gaskets, replace some parts, notice that lots of settings like float bowl height were very wrong, and so on. Put carb back together, set heights, rough idle mixture, etc.
Primary Axiom Violation: I did two things at once, the carb rebuild and points conversion. <o:p></o:p>
That said, here’s what happened, Take One:<o:p></o:p>
On initial fire up the car was hard to start and hard to keep running. The tach did not register correctly and would read zero, then when some cylinders fired read some low RPM, etc. Just bounced around. The motor was clearly missing on more than a couple of cylinders but would “run”. When Jeff kept it running one time it went “Bang” and a big flame came out of the carb and burned for about 10 seconds. I did my best Beavis imitation and yelled “Fire! Fire!” and ran away. The garage was full of rich fumes that made Ed the Dog very unhappy. He ran off too, at which point we had to take a break.<o:p></o:p>
Take Two:<o:p></o:p>
We figure the Pertronix must be the problem so we re-install the points. Same story as take one except the dog couldn’t run off, the garage was closed.<o:p></o:p>
Take Three:<o:p></o:p>
Sounds like timing. Runs poorly, our dizzy messing around must have gotten the timing off. Hard to check timing though because plug number one NEVER fires. Others do intermittently. #1, never. We check #1 plug, fine. Wires fine. Cap new, wires are new. Must be timing. We rough in the timing as I’ve done many many times before on engines. Timing looks good, certainly good enough to fire well. I loosen the dizzy hold down screw so I can twist it around as Jeff fires it up. Maybe I can make it run better. Surprise – the dizzy is rust welded to the block, or painted there, or something. At any rate, I can’t twist the dizzy at all. Clearly the timing didn’t change from moving the dizzy. <o:p></o:p>
Take Four:<o:p></o:p>
Ran some more tests today. New coil has same resistance as the old coil, about 1.6 ohm. Ford Torino has a resistance wire in the loom but other owners of Torinos has done the conversion with paying no attention to the resistance wire. Works great on 72s I’m told. Checked float level in carbs, looks good, right up to the side of the plug.<o:p></o:p>
I’m running out of ideas. Sounds like timing, but must be the carb is what I’m coming to. But why would the tach be all crazy? Even of the carb were stolen by a hobo for liquor money the ignition system should work beautifully and fire all the time. So it must be ignition / timing. Got to be.<o:p></o:p>
What do you folks think?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

When it backfired thru the carb it probably stuffed your nice new power valve. Your motor has obviously had a leaky T/Stat at some stage which has 'frozen' the dizzy in the block & the pertronix unit will be slightly out of phase to what the old points setting was.... also as the dizzy is frozen there is a good chance that a latter day Paul Bunyon has forcibly tried to remove the dizzy & bent the housing in the process. To eliminate this possible cause you must ensure that you have the points opening on each lobe of the dizzy cam... you may need a wider than normal points gap to acheive this. A horseshoe ended pry bar is the only way to remove the dizzy & the odds of its survival are not that great, but at least you have a spare:) A bit of diesel soaking around the dizzy for a couple of days prior to attempted extraction is a good idea.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Runs poorly, our dizzy messing around must have gotten the timing off. Hard to check timing though because plug number one NEVER fires. Others do intermittently. #1, never. We check #1 plug, fine. Wires fine. Cap new, wires are new. Must be timing. We rough in the timing as I’ve done many many times before on engines. Timing looks good, certainly good enough to fire well. I loosen the dizzy hold down screw so I can twist it around as Jeff fires it up. Maybe I can make it run better. Surprise – the dizzy is rust welded to the block, or painted there, or something. At any rate, I can’t twist the dizzy at all. Clearly the timing didn’t change from moving the dizzy.

Hi Ron,

You altered the timing with the installation of the Pertronix kit... The timing is actually a matter of the breaker plate location in relationship to the shaft / rotor....

I'd say that you need to soak the distributor body with Liquid Wrench / PB Blaster - and then put a timing light on it... Make sure that the vacuum advance is disconnected (plug the hose)..

Note - I have had to "convince" more than a few Ford distributors into moving.. Done with a block of wood and some tapping with a hammer up against the boss that the Vacuum advance is bolted to..

HI Ron Would this still have the nylon timing gears ??? If so at this age they don't take kindly to backfires. I have used the bolt, nut and socket jacks to lift these distributors out in the past taking my time as to not destroy them. Good Luck and thanks for the awesome Forum

Ron Earp

Admin
When it backfired thru the carb it probably stuffed your nice new power valve. Your motor has obviously had a leaky T/Stat at some stage which has 'frozen' the dizzy in the block & the pertronix unit will be slightly out of phase to what the old points setting was.... also as the dizzy is frozen there is a good chance that a latter day Paul Bunyon has forcibly tried to remove the dizzy & bent the housing in the process. To eliminate this possible cause you must ensure that you have the points opening on each lobe of the dizzy cam... you may need a wider than normal points gap to acheive this. A horseshoe ended pry bar is the only way to remove the dizzy & the odds of its survival are not that great, but at least you have a spare:) A bit of diesel soaking around the dizzy for a couple of days prior to attempted extraction is a good idea.

I wondered about the carb backfire.....

I can accept that the timing is slightly different from the Pertronix. But, I was able to re-install the points in the same position. And after re-installing the points experienced the same problem. I did adjust the points gap and watched to make sure all eight positions opened and closed - they did. Shaft / eccentric doesn't seem to have runout.

But what about the ignition/tach issue? The carb has nothing to do with ignition happening. And ignition isn't happening reliably in all cylinders and never happens in #1. I find that very odd.

The dizzy will be loose tonight and we'll solve this problem, I hope. Thanks fellows!

R

As Wally points out it could also be a coincidental thing with the cam chain jumping one tooth if the nylon coated cam sprocket is still in use. In my experience the most common time for the timing to jump on these was at shutdown & usually the owner found the car very reluctant to start next morning etc & obviously could never understand why..'' it was runnin real good yesterday when I drove home was the common thought''.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Is the disty out by 180 degrees? I once fired a P-car flat six and it ran in a similar fashion. I've also had the pleasure of Jac's diagnosis. Ugh...

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

Sounds like an ignition problem from your description. When you say that #1 never fires, is that "does not have any spark" or simply doesn't fire on turning over? If there is spark then are you sure you have the plug leads set to the Cleveland firing order of 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8?

If there is no spark to one cylinder then there is something wrong in the dizzy itself or the lead is broken internally.

Back