Carb Spacer / Leveler

Ron Earp

Admin
The motor in my T70 is mounted perfectly level, within about 0.25 degrees or so. That is a good thing. The bad thing, I think, is that common intakes like the Edelbrock Air Gap have a tilt to the carb mounting pad.

Edelbrock 7521 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thus the carb ends up tilting forward to the front of the car. I don't think this is such a good thing for setting up the float levels. I've already experienced some issues with float level that I can't explain, like getting on track and having rough running problems that I "cured" by adjusting the float levels a couple of mm. The car runs well now, but the levels are not the same front to back and I can't explain why what I did worked.

These items seem to be able to level the carb and look to be perfect for my amount of forward tilt.

Moroso 65030 - Moroso Carburetor Spacers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Anyone have any experience in using these? Or is the proper solution to toss that thing and get the intake milled flat on the carb pad?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Back in the day, many Fords had spacers to level the carb. In the early 60s the Galaxies and T-Birds shared an intake however the engines in the Galaxies were mounted on a downward angle, the Birds were level. To use the same intake Ford used a beveled spacer.

That said, my first choice would be to mill the intake. One less gasket and less chance for "OOPS" But, a spacer will do the job and sometimes a little more runner length makes a little more power.........lessee, two percent of 230 HP is ???????

Ron Earp

Admin
d less chance for "OOPS" But, a spacer will do the job and sometimes a little more runner length makes a little more power.........lessee, two percent of 230 HP is ???????

Hey hey, don't short us now - we're up to a whopping 252 hp at the wheel now. A good bit more than we wanted since that is around, oh, maybe 275 at the crank? More power means more fuel consumption...still sort of a sad output but it could be fixed with a cam....and maybe intake although that Air Gap stacked up very well against the Victor Jr. on the 289/302 inch motors.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The make a number of different spacers that will bring your carb back into tolerance again.
The Marine industry has been using these for a lot of years, but you know what BOAT means? Break Out Another Thousand.. I'm not sure that your particular intake is available in a Marine style - but if so, it may already have the base at an angle for you.

I wouldn't be afraid of using a wedge spacer at all.. If anything it will help increase your bottom end torque a bit due to an increase in plenum volume..

Ron,
While I don't remember how much angle the RPM Air Gap manifold has machined into it, 5-6 degrees "downward" in the front isn't always such a bad thing...and here's why:

Under acceleration, dynamic forces acting on the fuel in the float bowls causes it to displace toward the rear...stacking up against the front main jets and PV fuel entry ports, and away from the rear main jets (and PV is your carb is so equipped). Since a carburetor's main circuit meters fuel based on the difference between hydrostatic fluid pressure before the jet and the vacuum created by the venturi and booster, it's easy to see how changes in the level of fuel immediately over the main jet affect the amount of fuel passing through it. A slight "frontward slant" to the carburetor can help to balance out this effect during acceleration when proper A/F ratio is most important.

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Ron

I have that same manifold on my car with that tilt plate with a holley on top. Worked fine for me for many years. I had a tilt plate for 20 years now but the Air Gap only 5 or 6 years now I think. I also use a heat soak plate to prevent heat soak climbing up into the carb and with decent gaskets not had any sealing issues.

Keith

I always used one on my SBC where it fulfilled a number of functions including levelling the carb. I totally matched it (by hand grinder) to the Victor Jr and not only created a heat barrier as Malcolm commented but it raised the carb to a suitable level for the intake system and had the bonus of providing a bit more grunt but not at the expense of any significant increase in fuel consumption (not that I was counting) :)

Last edited:

Keith

Found it eventually, you can just make it out in this pic. I think they came in 2 sizes then 1" and 2" and this is a 2" (in black). You can see how tall it made the installation, perfect for a hood (snorkel) type scoop.

Chevette2-1.jpg
Correction: On reflection it may have been a 1"..

Chuck

Supporter
Ron

Here is pic of the spacer with an air gap.

Works great. No issues at all. Levels the carb with the engine and rear clip on the GT.

Go for it. Easy solution.

chuck

Attachments

• CarbSpacer1.JPG
    CarbSpacer1.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 394
Back