CAV GT Gear Shift Links

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="PowerPoint.Slide"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft PowerPoint 12">
Hi,
Have a question regarding the Gear Shift Adapter

Problem: Gear shift rod is position sideways towards the gear shift lever which might cause rough gear changes.
What I Did: Add on a gear shift adapter on the gear shift lever so that the gear shift rod is connected straight to the gear shift lever without the need to tilt the gear shift. Did solve the problem.
Question is : Is this normal on all GTs / CAVs..?
Thanks

Hi,
Pls see attached pics.
I just machined out a sleeve to extend the out the connection between the rod and the linkage.
GearLinks1.jpg
GearLinks2.jpg
Shifting quality and feel improved.

Other mods that I have done include :

a. Modify the rear top camber link (needed additional 2.2deg)
b. Added an oil cooler and relocate oil filter
c. Full geometry setup
Picture3.jpg
DSC00163.JPG
d. Redesign a 2 piece rear toe link to replace the original 1 pc for easy toe adjustments

On the way :

a. Air jack installation for track use
b. Fire ext and nozzle installation ( Best place..??)
c. Towing hooks
d. Rainproofing and water trapping issues (Tropical weather and GTs...hmmm..)

Since the car is still new here, I am still trying to find out stuff.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Pete,

Glad you were able to improve the shifter feel. We have extensive experience with rod shifters for ZF applications for center and right hand drive - right hand shift applications however have not yet been involved with cable shifters as per Getrag applications.

Regarding future upgrades, we've already got the back end of the car covered. There's no need to re-invent that wheel, as the saying goes.

Please check out our posting under parts for sales - new prices. We offer a complete four corner kit for track cars or serious road use. The bolt on kit uncludes four new fabricated steel uprights with improved geomerty built in, brake cooling built in and vastly stronger without weight penalty.

The kit also includes new reversed lower A-Arms that provide toe-in adjustment via rod end, support the upright and trailing arm clevis pin in .750 precision ball bearings, thus eliminating all bind inherent to the rubber bushings. We've also built into this kit reduced rate of camber climb on the rear, raised the instantaneous roll center height to increase roll resistance and provided more anit-squat.

These parts took hundreds of hours to design, prototype, test, revise, tool up and put into production. The results work, with many cars already running on all four uprights and some with one end done first, in every case you can feel the difference right away in the controls, the car becomes more responsive and easier to feel at the same time.

In your case, it sounds like you want to put some track time on this car, you really need to check out these parts, please give me a call on the toll free number. We can save you a ton of work unleashing the potential in the CAV GT monocoque chassis. Thanks

Cheers

PS: the pic below shows the original CAV cast upright left, new steel upright center and the original Ford GT40 upright cast in magnesium on the right. We have gone as far as possible to the configuration of the Ford part within the limits of chassis pick up points for the suspension and maintaining an easy retrofit installation.

Attachments

• CAVRears2.jpg
    CAVRears2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 320
Back