CAV shocks and springs

I have CAV 117 does any one know the spring sizes and rating for the front and rear also the part number for the shocks

At the moment my car has been fitted with 6 x 1000lbs spring on the rear(which I know are wrong) and 9 X 425lbs on the front, shocks are Spax G66 AP all round

The CAV factory information is
Springs we are currently using 8 x 500” on the front and 8 x 650” on the rear.

Front Part number: G66 AP Spax (standard shocks)
Rear Part number: DA90/130 (race shocks)

This this the set I should have???

I'am away from home so I can't check part numbers. I have "broken" 3 Spax shocks so far in less than 3,000 miles driving. O.K. the first one was a pot hole, but the second was a crack in the road, third one turning hard right into a gas station on a flat level surface???? All three snapped off at the bottom thread of the shafts top mount. I suspect the threads are cut too deep. It took 5 Spax's dealers to find one that would order me one in the USA. 90 days for delivery. In the mean time I had it welded and had to reuse it when another broke. I checked for another supplier in the USA for any other make of shock but no luck yet. Koni where are you when I need you? CAV #99 with 4k miles.

Pat

Supporter
I had this in some of my old documentation but I have an early pre-100 car.
Spax #GA66 AP with 450 LBx 8 springs for the front and 600 x 8 for the rear.

Since you have a post 100 car, I think CAV updated the suspension so it may be wise to check with them and I bet they'll recommend you go with their current rates.

1000lbs on the rear??? Yikes! Springs like that and you could tow a motor home.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, yes the 1000lbs springs on the rear, every time you put your foot down the car bounces and skips across the road would not recommend them, think I will go with the factory setting.

Thanks
Mike

Thanks for your help one last question, its mention in the build manual that there is a black aluminium spacers below the coil spring for the front shock, does anyone know the size of this spacer or have a picture of it.

Thanks
Mike

Mike, here's what mine (early mono) looked like....with new/updated front uprights installed.

Attachments

• New Upright Installed1.jpg
    New Upright Installed1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 312
Back