Checking in, it's been too long...

Hi all-

My last experience was with Howard Jones in '07 (I can't believe it) when he took me for a ride on the track at the Reno Western States Bash. So much has happened since then & I can only hope I'm a little closer to that 40 dream.
The wife took a big job at the NIH in Bethesda MD. I'm sitting the house in MT until it sells, everything was moved to MD a year ago. I don't want to leave MT but we will return in 9 years.
So we have a new house in MD (which the wife lives in now with one of our English setters) with a double garage (I got that much, very hard to find there). When the MT house (110 year old Victorian) sells & I move to MD I'll then finish the MD garage, heat it, new doors etc. and prepare for my build there.
I have a few contacts in MD now via the ZR-1 Net who swear they can sell my pristine '95 ZR-1 for top dollar. So, I will take them up on that, hopefully sell the car, but I won't give it away. Yet in the time we're in MD I should think the economy will pick up & I'll sell it & get the 40 built before we leave.

I haven't reviewed any of the 40 websites for some time now but a few years ago I was sold on RCR and unless things have changed will go with them. I will visit them before hand though. I only wish they were able to make that '07 Western Reno Bash. Superformance was there, but out of two days of trying to attract any of the two sales people there they didn't acknowledge my existence, never even sat in one, untouchable. I know RCR is not like that.

It will be awhile yet, but hopefully the MT house sells this Spring/Summer (will be the 2nd year its been for sale). Just an update to let you all know I'm hanging in there & hope to get something going within a year?

Thanks for the ride Howard, I still think of coming around that curve and into the straight away and just kissing that cement retaining wall, again & again. I think we were a bit over the speed limit if I recall, oh yea, no speed limit. I hope I didn't ruin your interior by leaving my finger prints embedded in your roll bar, I always think about that. But I'd do it again...

Ron McCall

Supporter
Where is your house in MD? I am in Hampstead . I will gladly show you my RCR when you get here. Also, Carlisle is very close to Maryland so that would be a great place to check out some GT40s. There are also several others in the area.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You might call Dennis Olthoff in NC about the SPF cars; they DO return phone calls. There is also a dealer in Yorktown, VA, which isn't too far from here- and is a very enjoyable drive over twisty roads suitable for scaring yourself :)

We don't have the scenery here in MD that you do in MT, but the driving season (and boating season) is long and enjoyable. And Ron and I know a lot of folks here who can help you get things done on whichever GT40 you decide to build. I have access to an excellent paint shop here in Annapolis, for one thing, plus another shop which is extremely skilled in electrical wiring and troubleshooting, plus a first-class trim shop who do a lot of custom work.

Of all the folks that I have personally encountered who are in the business of building GT40 replica cars, Fran is the most conscientious (note that I have not spoken with all of them and no disrespect to anyone intended here). He does everything he can to ensure the satisfaction of his customers.

Where is your house in MD? I am in Hampstead . I will gladly show you my RCR when you get here. Also, Carlisle is very close to Maryland so that would be a great place to check out some GT40s. There are also several others in the area.

We're in Damascus, Nickelby Way. I'll certainly take you up on viewing your RCR, that would be great. I have to check the map to see where Hampstead is, I don't know much about the area. Well, hopefully we'll sell this place & I'll get out there next summer. Thanks for the repy...

Hello Jim,

That's some excellent info to know. I never gave it much of a thought that there would be so many experienced people in the area. Your kind of information can save weeks of hunting down these types of shops. That really opens my eyes to another way of looking at the build already. Now I'm thinking MD was meant to be, and for this reason!

Thanks for your rely and hope to meet up in the near future...

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Yeah, I've spent thirteen years just in Annapolis. Some of these folks weren't even in business when I moved here. It takes a long time to find people like these- skilled craftsmen who are knowledgeable and reliable and proud of their work. I am very fortunate to know these folks and I make sure they know I feel that way.

And if you need a set of headers for a GT40, I can HIGHLY recommend the guys in Minnesota- Stainless Headers, Inc. Wow.

Back