Choppy choppy?

I'm using hardened ARP studs - I'm trying to decide if I want to cut them down in length, or leave them as is. They're much longer than stock, but arn't past the rim itself. (heat-treated chromoly, so it shouldn't rust....)

stud2.jpg

stud3.jpg

Side-view - you can't really see them.

cold2.jpg

I'm 50/50 on it at the moment - I was going to cut them, but part of me says 'Hey, the longer stud look makes it look more raw and like a hardcore race car :idea: '. The other part of me goes 'I dunno, it makes it look kind of lazy - are you sure you're not just trying to be lazy about this?'

What do you think? Does it look more raw and gutteral with them like that, or does it make it look like I was just too lazy to chop them?

Alex,

I'd keep them long...the more threads the better.

I see you installed the optional parachute. Or does the cord attach to your sled team?

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I'm in the extreme minority it appears, but I'd cut them some. Might consider some sleeves to cover the ends. Not a big fan of any excess stud on anything. A nice cut-off wheel and some old lugnuts and they'd be shorter before you knew it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Alex,

I'd keep them long...the more threads the better.

I see you installed the optional parachute. Or does the cord attach to your sled team?

Ditto here... I leave them long. I like to purchase the extra long lug nuts (Pegasus Racing is where I've bought them).. You can more comfortably run lower lug torques (75-80 Lb Ft) and don't have to worry about the lug nut backing it's way off in the event of a stud stretching incident..

Alex - are you now dragging the sled team with the SLC? :laugh:

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
There are lots of sanctioning bodies that require the studs to extend beyond the end of the lugnut. If you're considering racing the car, I'd leave them long. If it's just going to be your street monster, chop them down.

Just my $.02

I would leave them long as well. It gives you the ability to make small adjustments via wheel-spacers in the future.

Even though it wouldn't be noticeable, just the thought of that extra unsprung weight would drive me crazy!

Alrighty guys, thanks - leaving them long for now. If I change my mind I can always chop them at a later point; kind of hard to do the opposite (choppy choppy now, then reverse later) ..... although I suppose I could Jbweld them back together ;)

Alex - are you now dragging the sled team with the SLC? :laugh:

That's a special canadian-only option from Fran - dog sled towing feature.

(but that x-mas tree rope is how my dad and I brought it up the hill ... we didn't have any tow straps around, and surprisingly, that rope did not break

I bet you do ;)

:lipsrsealed:......:drunk:........:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Even though it wouldn't be noticeable, just the thought of that extra unsprung weight would drive me crazy!

I wonder if I need rear brakes - could be some good weight savings right there, hehe :drunk:

Just added some ARP long wheel studs on the Atom. Easier to get the wheel on and hold it in place while you're putting on the lugs in my opinion.

Plus you could sharpen them chariot style

DSC01341.jpg

Well if you decide to chop them make sure you run and old lug nut down pass where your going to cut first. That way when you cut the stud and grind it flat. You can remove the lug nut and it will pick up the threads. if you do it the other way you may cross thread it on the way down...

i know you know this but sometimes we overlook the simple things..

Back