Chris Melia's Mono "Raiders of the lost Arc"

Re: Chris Melia's Mono "Raiders of the lost Arc"

4 wheels on my wagon

Still remember how lightweight this wheel/tire combination was, when we picked it up from the tire guy almost 20 months ago.

Looking at the pics i also always wondered how good the originals where in terms of bumpsteer. Anyone out there knowing facts ?

TOM

Hi Tom

Original GT40 track cars have front springs in the 550.lbs to 600.lbs range, suspension movement is minimal, compliance being in the tire side wall, so bumpsteer is not an issue generally.
Softer sprung road going cars may be different, however I can adjust the inner steering rack joint position if required.

regards

Chris.

Looking at the pics i also always wondered how good the originals where in terms of bumpsteer. Anyone out there knowing facts ?

TOM[/QUOTE]

Having built several chassis and fitted suspension I can say over normal suspension travel
there is no bumb steer,

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

TOM

Having built several chassis and fitted suspension I can say over normal suspension travel
there is no bumb steer,

No Bump Steer (as in Zero) is exceptionally difficult to attain...

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Chris, very cool. I still remember when you found this car and how excited we all were...glad to see you are making progress.

I like the can of WD40 in one of the photos. It is probably not possible to build a GT40 without certain humble items, one of them being a can of WD40. And after all, it's got the right number on it, doesn't it.

You are gaining on me, Chris. I am going to have to step up the pace or I'll get passed even before I am out on the road. Uh oh.

Hi Jim

You are building your car just by thinking about it. Every job needs doing at least twice.
regards

Chris.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Too bloody right. I spend a LOT of time trying to figure out how all this stuff is going to fit together. And sometimes it even does.

Yours looks great, though. Far more original than mine. You could have an HTP, couldn't you...

Chris,
Im planning to build an exact chassis replica but i don't have many ref's or dimensions. I was wondering if you can help. The pictures you have on you chassis are the best I've seen. I was hopping if you can send me some flix of the chassis W/ dim's. Let me know if thats ok. I will send you my e-mail.

Thanks,

regards,

Back