Christie's Auction

Re: Christie\'s Auction

SOLD ! Possibly outside UK - £ 170 plus £ 23 commission - maybe plus £ 4000 tax - total north of of USD 300,000 - not very long ago (1997/1998) that bought you a complete car !

Well, I must say we are content with the result, I hope this further proves the right car at the right auction achieves a good result.

Chris Melia posted that this car had a Mk111 chassis. It also has a Mk111 front cover. Seems as if it has been cobbled up out of a parts bin. It seems that at some auctions money and knowledge don't arrive together. Regards

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter

I will be curious to see how the value of our CAV's, GTD's, ERA's, KVA's, RF's, etc. compare to the value of P1112 in ten years.

I heard about this car being sold and though not really a fan of GT40s I thought it sounded great. Then I found this site buzzin with enthusiasts, I thought.
Well the flag certainly dropped then!
IMHO it amazes me how a bunch of copycats can comment in such a manner, this baby was made by Ford for gods sake!
It may not be finished but at least it was started in the factory and cant compare to some of the replicas about and certainly cant be compared on value to anything else except those that started out at Ford.
After all the Ford GT40 is what is copied, not the GTD or any other incarnation. Replicas are after all considered flattery!

Dude
The only "GT40s" that were made by Ford were the MK-IV's. The fact that someone paid 192,000+GBPs for this collection of parts IMHO proves WC. Fields was right.

Jim,

I believe that you are referring to P.T Barnum's famous quote, "There's a sucker born every minute!" It certainly holds true
in the case of the Christie's GT40.

The best W.C. Fields quote of all time, is the epitaph on his grave, "I'd rather be here, than in Philadelphia!"

Bill

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

AVO

No disrespect for the car was intended.

What was shocking was the price paid
for an incomplete vehicle with no history,
in light of the fact that a low mileage
well documented GT40 sold at Barret-Jackson
in January for not a lot more than this.

The fact that most of the tub was made by FAV does provide additional value over any replica...but most Forum members felt the
buyer SIGNIFICANTLY overpaid.

Whether the buyer will be happy with their
purchase is another issue altogether.
May be the happiest day of his/her life.
Who knows.

MikeD

Bill
You're probably right but I was thinking of:
"Never give a sucker an even break."
Another one I like is when asked by a sucker whether or not Poker was a game of chance he replied:"Not the way I play it"
Mike
The price paid for this makes the price paid for the real MKIII at BJ look like the buy of the year esp. since these parts were a mix of NOS and modern MKI & MKIII and didn't include drive train. NOS - 0 ZF's are hard to find. (I think the tub was made by Tennant. Marco?)
Best
Jim

Jim,
A proper trans was included.
And other pieces.
The tub was made by Abbey panels allright..
Without any doughts.
Tony bought it in -72 from the holders of the remaining stocks.
And it is a LHD MkIII spare chassis made for central shift.
But the production was halted...
It is now in MkI costume, and chassis is pretty much untouched beneath the mounted parts.
It is a very sound and good chassis.
Not rusty, crashed or such..
Probably that is what was most interesting with this vehicle altough it does not have any history as such...
wink.gif

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: Marco Bjerkén ]

Marco
Was it a -0? Also web site said it was MKIII left hand drive center shift. By the time this car is together the owner will have more in it than the real BK MKIII wild.
Best
Jim

It is a LHD chassis which has a new hole in the tub to access the (apparently from a Ferrari 308) steering rack on the right hand side - there is an original gear linkage on the right and an aftermarket (I think) cable handbrake in the centre - the RHD dash moulding is fitted - there was an original ZF included - lets face it at the end of the day Christie's did their job well - no-one forced the new buyer to pay £ 200000 for it - the vendor made his reserve - and this would tend to reflect the current market of around £300/$500 for a good complete car without great history

HI,
MY OPINION FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH!
ANY VEHICLE OUT OF PRODUCTION, ESPECIALLY THOSE MADE IN LIMITED NUMBERS AND HARD TO COMPARE LIKE FOR LIKE ARE "WORTH" WHAT AN INDIVIDUAL IS PREPARED TO PAY FOR THEM. REPLICA GT40'S ARE GREAT, REAL GT40'S ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD AND IF SOMEONE IS PREPARED TO PAY INEXCESS OF 200K FOR THE CAR, SO BE IT. GOOD LUCK TO HIM, HE OWNS SOMETHING SPECIAL THAT MOST OF US WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO. REMEMBER THAT THERE WERE A NUMBER OF BIDDERS IN THE AUCTION, IF THEY HAD ALL BEEN AS DETERMINED AS THE BUYER WHO KNOWS WHERE IT WOULD HAVE ENDED. PERSONALLY IM NOT A BIG FAN OF PAYING HUGE MONEY FOR HISTORY PREFERING TO PAY FOR CONDITION AND SPEC BUT
EACH TO THEIR OWN.
REGARDS, CHRIS.

Sorry about my miss spelling..
I edited from RHD to LHD...
Was thinking of righthand traffic...
And yes it is a 5 DS-25(wich RBT call -0 for no mix ups..)
But it has steering wheel mounted to the right and the gearstick also..
So it has been "converted" to RHD.
Altough wiper position remains...
The handbrake mounted is just intended to be used "for now" only..
Not correct thou, as said.
But the chassis is probably the soundest one around.
wink.gif

Chris
I totally agree whatever makes you happy but if you can afford to pay for history, rarity, and beauty these are the things that hold value over time.
Marco
Thanks!
Best
Jim

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Actually, Bill, from what I know WC Fields' grave marker just says 'WC Fields'. It's a great story, though....
The buyer of the Christie's car paid just about the same as the buyers at BJ did for cars which were not assembled from bits but began and continued with their original pieces. Of the three sales, I would think that the buyer of 1059 did best- he got a real Mark 1 car, my favorite, and an unusual one in the sense that it is a street car with Webers. I understand most had Holleys. Just wish it was the original color.

Back