Clarification of terms

Most of you have seen original drawings by now so you should know what I am talking about . The title of the drawings range from GT40P, X40, SGT40P, RGT40P and GT40XL. What does the P , X S, R , XL mean.

The x40 prints are on the Lola numbering scheme, uncertain if it is gt40 prototype or gt6 origin. XL i am pretty sure are road car bits.

If someone knows anything about the prefix it would be interesting to know.

I seem to recall noticing that all the MK III stuff was with the XL prefix. That is just a general observation though.

P for production, as on the chassis number, GT40P/1008 for example.
That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

That may well be the intention. I would need to see photos of the nose structure on the first couple of production cars, as they were still sorting out details of those parts as they went into production. the definitive nose was fist fitted to 1004 or 1005 wasn't it?

GT40P/1/2299 - 2300 shows the fresh air duct on the side of the radiator support tubes that run down to the nose either side of the spare wheel.
These drawings/parts are slightly different from what was in the likes of GT103-GT109 & GT111 so i would postulate that the intention was to take the fresh air from either side of the radiator for the eye ball vents, rather than the latter NACA ducts on the nose.

Ryan

Here we have XL with LH and RH drive , so XL must be Mk3 drawings.

Attachments

• GT40P-1-2113-2.jpg
    GT40P-1-2113-2.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 30
That may well be the intention. I would need to see photos of the nose structure on the first couple of production cars, as they were still sorting out details of those parts as they went into production. the definitive nose was fist fitted to 1004 or 1005 wasn't it?

GT40P/1/2299 - 2300 shows the fresh air duct on the side of the radiator support tubes that run down to the nose either side of the spare wheel.
These drawings/parts are slightly different from what was in the likes of GT103-GT109 & GT111 so i would postulate that the intention was to take the fresh air from either side of the radiator for the eye ball vents, rather than the latter NACA ducts on the nose.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,
Yes constant evolution. The first 7 or so production cars had the roof panel with full width air vents for instance.

agree, so many little differences across the cars. Early cars vs later cars, road car vs race vs Mirage vs something that was later converted back to a race car, then there is the differences between MK's and crash damage or particular race cars from different owners/teams. A Race car would be different from race to race, especially the early prototypes.

If you are going to replicate a car, you really need to pick a car and a point in time and focus on that.
I'm going to try and do GT103 as per Sebring 65.

Ryan

Back