Clarkson in an original GT40....video

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Yes seen the Tiff video.....just type in 'top gear' into youtube search engine and watch the fun....... be warned you can lose hours off your building time....... look out for the kit car build race.....

Andy

Nic said:
Annyone know which season of top gear this was?

The clip of Clarkson driving the GT40 is from a video.. wait for it... 'the Most Outrageous Jeremy Clarkson Video Ever' released about 5-6 years ago.

SteveB

Thanks SteveB. I'll look it up.

Hearing the gt40 start up in the hangar and roar down the straight gave me the shivers, even in the poor audio quality it is on youtube. Got to get it with propper audio quality.. Until the day comes when i can get my own all i can do is listen look read and learn..

I'm not sure given the small viewing screen, but looking at the position of the gear lever as he was shifting and comparing that to what he was saying, it seems that Clarkson was confused about what gear he was in when he was accelerating down the straight. Anyone else get that impression? Also, the talk about "200 miles per hour" had to be hype. I don't think a Mk I can get above 180 mph or so except with a very tall final drive ratio and a l...o...n...g straight like the 3+ mile Mulsanne to wind what would have to be a stout motor all the way out. I think the JWA Gulf team cars were quoted as just inching past 200 (something like 203) at Le Mans 1969. Also, given the track conditions in the Clarkson video (obviously wet if not raining), I would think prudence would have put at least a bit of a limit on really wringing #1084 (I think that is the chassis number) out. These are minor quibbles, however. I got chills just like the rest of you watching and listening to this video.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
There is a 'Duke' dvd called the ford gt40 sory...or something like that where Tiff test drives a Mk III and a MkI.

The MkI is I believe P1008 (the ford owned, race preped gt40??) which was recently 'converted' into a MkII for Goodwood by Chris Melia.

Anyway the MkI is shown doing 200mph down a straight in the DVD....... they could however have tweeked the speedo readings....but I doubt it......

Andy Watson

The speedo is out on the ford press car, it reads about 20-25% over what the car actually is doing. I rode down a runway in it at about 120mph a few months back - the speedo was saying about 160 mph.

Keith

Nic said:
Thanks SteveB. I'll look it up.

Hearing the gt40 start up in the hangar and roar down the straight gave me the shivers, even in the poor audio quality it is on youtube. Got to get it with propper audio quality.. Until the day comes when i can get my own all i can do is listen look read and learn..

Hi Nic, I have a rip from that episode showing the Gulf '40 with reasonable video quality and good sound. It is an AVI file and 36 mb's in size. I also believe you will need a DivX Codec to watch it. If your mailbox is up to it I'll mail it to you, just let me have your address via PM.

Cheers....

Back