Cleveland Heads

Guys:

I'm interested in converting a 302 to use a pair of Cleveland heads. Does anyone have any links or advice concering this conversion?

Also, does anyone know a manufacturer that makes headers for a '40 when using Cleveland heads?

I'm planning on building a Mk.II...so I'd like to give the car a "big block" look with the headers while still utilizing a transaxle setup that is tried and true (G50).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael

This is the Boss 302 setup. I know you have to open up the water jacket on the heads by drilling a hole to match up to the block. Check some Ford motor tech sites and they should give the info. I think the headers will have to be custom made. There are some guys running 351C motors here so maybe someone can help with their source for the exhaust.

Thanks Mark

I'll probably also have to track down a Boss 302 intake manifold.

Out of curiosity, who makes a transaxle adaptor kit for a 351C?

Ron McCall

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Mark

I'll probably also have to track down a Boss 302 intake manifold.

Out of curiosity, who makes a transaxle adaptor kit for a 351C?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be the same as a 302 adapter kit.Same bellhousing bolt pattern.
Ron

I believe the instructions for installing Cleveland style cylinder heads to a SBF are included in the tech section of the Ford Racing catalog.

check it out.
mardyn

I just happen to have out in my shop enough parts to assemble a Boss 302 engine. Thia was a spare for my 69 Boss that i sold when I decided to buy my 40. The buyer didn't want the spare. If you or any one else is interested mail me for the details.

Vic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Michael,
I'm running a C in my GT. The bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as other small block Fords. I'm using an ERA bellhousing, SBF to -2 ZF with a standard Ford 157 tooth flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. All are McLeod pieces with the flywheel being aluminum.

I did my own headers out of 304ss using Burns Stainless parts. Good excuse to buy a TIG machine!
Yes, the exhaust looks more like that of the big block due to the angle the headers come off the heads.
24262226-a310-02000180-BB.jpg

If you don't have C heads but want to go to them, I would look at AFD, CHI, and Edelbrock. All are aluminum varients of the C head. I'm running cast iron heads only because none of these options were available when I did my engine. I would opt for aluminum today. See this site for more on the 3 heads. There is a lot of info on AFD and CHI if you search. The Edelbrock head is just coming out.

Also in the works is an aluminum Cleveland block from our friends Down Under. All stock Cleveland internal/external parts are supposed to bolt on. Bore sizes of 4.00 and 4.125 are to be available. It's on my wish list...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
aluminum block

Michael,
351C,M and 400 had the water have the water jackets on the combustion face while the Windsor used the intake manifold to expel the hot water. To put your Cleveland heads on a Windsor block you will need to drilla 0.800" diam hole in the intake manifold face of the head and plug the square hole in the C head. Install the heads using Cleveland gaskets and use an intake manifold gasket to match the intake manifold.BOSS heads have a larger port and you will have to use a BOSS intake manifold gasket.If you are lucky enough to find post 1984 Ford Racing heads you can avoid the drilling by using the 3/4" tapped hole in the front and rear of the heads.(use only 1 on each head). good luck with your build!

Back