Compact Distributer

Randy Folsom

Supporter
While I am waiting for my RCR40 to arrive (this week, fingers crossed), I thinking about engine fitment. I have a 302/363 with a four barrel NA carb from Prestige. I ordered it with an MSD system. I am concerned about firewall clearance. So thinking to switch it out with MSD’s small diameter pro-billet. Two questions: Do I need to worry about clearance? If I upgrade to a Borla EFI ITB eight stack, will this size distributer required?

Bill Kearley

Supporter
You will have room if running a carb but the height will be a problem it you go to the Borla 8 stack. The interference is with the fuel rails not the firewall, at least on a CAV

Attachments

• GOPR0426.JPG
    GOPR0426.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 41
  • GOPR0541.JPG
    GOPR0541.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 38
  • GOPR0466.JPG
    GOPR0466.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 40
Randy, I think you’ll be okay with the large cap MSD on a 302 based motor and stack injection. The wire terminals of the large cap MSD on my 351W based motor with much taller deck height did touch the firewall, so I swapped over to the small cap configuration to provide clearance. Both caps have adequate clearance to Weber IDAs. Also, you’ll have a bit of leeway with how you position the motor mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_1252.png
    IMG_1252.png
    986.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1253.png
    IMG_1253.png
    809.1 KB · Views: 30

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy, I think you’ll be okay with the large cap MSD on a 302 based motor and stack injection. The wire terminals of the large cap MSD on my 351W based motor with much taller deck height did touch the firewall, so I swapped over to the small cap configuration to provide clearance. Both caps have adequate clearance to Weber IDAs. Also, you’ll have a bit of leeway with how you position the motor mounts.
Thx much for the guidance. I think I will swap out the distributer. The smaller unit looks more period correct as well.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Thx for confirming. Now what to do with the full size one that came installed. A little bummed. When I ordered the engine I specifically said I wanted it built for eventual upgrade to a Borla system.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
In addition, for Borla 8 stack I used Holly control and a MSD dual sync distributor. In hind site it may have been easier to use a crank trigger as I had to shorten the distributor shaft and lower the trigger wheel to fit under the fuel rails. Before I went to all this trouble I did call MSD and Holly to try and find the right distributor with no luck.

Attachments

• GOPR0502.JPG
    GOPR0502.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 28
  • GOPR0503.JPG
    GOPR0503.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 28
  • GOPR0504.JPG
    GOPR0504.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 25
  • GOPR0523.JPG
    GOPR0523.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 25
  • GOPR0532.JPG
    GOPR0532.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 30

Randy Folsom

Supporter
In addition, for Borla 8 stack I used Holly control and a MSD dual sync distributor. In hind site it may have been easier to use a crank trigger as I had to shorten the distributor shaft and lower the trigger wheel to fit under the fuel rails. Before I went to all this trouble I did call MSD and Holly to try and find the right distributor with no luck.
Wow, Way past my skill set. If I go the Borla route, I will probably work with Prestige. They have a setup that is specific to the engine they sold me and tell me it is plug & play. I might save a few hundred sourcing it myself, but it might be that I end up buying parts that don’t work. Just bolting it on will be enough of satisfaction for me.

Back