competition events for 2004

Hi again -

You can get insurance for competition, just as you can track days. It usually costs a bit more and you have to agree a sum beforehand. I think Malc took cover a few years back so he might be able to elaborate....

Go on... you know you want to!

MWGT40

Supporter
Simon,

Forget it - it is about £300 per event with some onerous exclusion clauses

Martin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
I have taken out insurance for comp events. When julian and I shared my car for a season we took out a policy to cover both of us to cover the parts for a "biggun"! That meant £15K of cover with a £3K excess so in reality £12K of parts to rebuild the car with our own labour. Built it once so can do it again kind of philosophy. But would rather not.

The cost for this worked out at about £80 per event each. This way we could compete or track day the car with less risk to freindship and for when Julian does 720 spins at Goodwood going through Fordwater with Charles Kergon up his chufty at 120mph! Clench that buttock! Jools thought this really funny..... I just wear his tyres out for him now and deny I can hear wheelspin! When Robin Batt was doing roughly 135 mph down Lavant straight many years ago in my car, a Lynx Jag D Type didn't see him and squeezed him two wheels onto the grass where the track doglegs slightly before the end of the straight. At least he had the manners not to laugh when telling me about it. Got the in car video of that somewhere too....found out all his braking points....I digress.

However when seeking further years coverage, the market had gone ballistic. Apparently the year was bad for competition insurance and the premiums went right up, to where I can't remember. No longer have insurance. As Jools has his own car now we effectively carry our own cover. I am currently just finalising my "claim" from Wiscombe Park. About £2k for going off at just 23 mph!

The premium did vary according to experience. Because I had been competing for 10 years prior to signing Julian as second driver this helped keep our premium under some semblance of control.

Competition Car Insurance is really the only broker for competitive events insurance although other guys will cover track days in association with road insurance.

Hope this is of help

Malcolm

MWGT40

Supporter
The quote I got was because the insured value was much higher and the excess lower (or maybe it is because I am a crap driver - just kidding) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. You can increase the excess to keep the premium down but you get to the point when you have to ask is it worth having cover! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As Malc said, our cover was purly in place just in case of that " big one". As with all insurance we hoped never to actually claim, but when a friend hands you the keys to his 40 and says go race with it ( first competative event in the 40 at...The Isle of Man!!) having only ever driven it for a 20 mins settling in drive !!, it offers some comfort that you should "only" need to find 3 grand, and lot of late nights, but a friendship intact if the worst should happen. We based the insurance required not on the market value of the 40, but on what we reasonably could expect to replace in the event of an off. 15 grand should actually buy you a lot of replacement parts to re-build whats left!!
Quote " When borrowing either a friends car or wife, best you take the necessary precautions" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Malc ,feel free to spin my tyres up as you please... there's barely any tread to wear out on the new set anyway!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hi Guys

Yet again great advice - thank you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon

Malcolm

Supporter
Simon, please call me if you want to chat about competition. Let me know if you don't have access to my home or work telephone numbers. Be happy to chat anytime.

Malcolm

Malcolm

Supporter
According to the invitation I received and accepted and the MSA 2004 calendar it is a split day between sprint in the morning and race day in the afternoon. These split days are typical at Lydden. Hope this clarifies it for you Frank.

Hi Malc, Ken Greenfield of SEMSEC has confirmed that the Lydden 3rd May event is not a sprint meeting, it is a half day track day and afternoon race meeting - check with him on 01892 655978. Frank

Malcolm

Supporter
I'm looking into it! It would be a pain if it had been cancelled and the invitee comp secs had not been informed!!!!

Malcolm

Malcolm

Supporter
Oh what a bugger! TWMC and SEMSEC in their wisdom and financial planning have not only cancelled the 3rd May sprint but also the 4th September event as well. They had planned on telling me in the near future! I am not impressed by this but will leave it at that.

Please see a future update on the Lydden sprints for this year which I hope to have sorted in the near future. I will also repeat these notes in the next magazine (which by the way is being prepared now so any material you have would be gratefully recieved by Paul!).

Malcolm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back