Could this be the answer to the '40's entry/exit problems?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
People are always talking about how one can get "parked out" of a '40...let somebody park right next to you and the design of the door keeps you from getting into the car......same with egress, park close enough to another car and you can't exit the '40 b/c of the design of the doors.

Well, take a look at this:

Disappearing Car Door

Intriguing idea......not quite sure how the engineering would work on a '40, but it is cool, no?

Cheers from Doug !!

this may be a silly question, but why wouldnt a gull wing style door work on gt40, maybe even the lambo scissor doors?

the car is low enough so not to hit the door on the roof, and solves the issue of being parked in.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Gull wing doors could probably be fitted (would require considerable reinforcement in the top of the spider), but they would probably not eliminate the problem of getting "parked in" where people park so close to the car that the doors cannot be opened far enough to get into the car (or, out). There have been discussions of the Lambo type scissor doors.....too fugly for me, though!

I think that most of us around here just love the GT40, with all its faults, so much that we would gladly accept all the "problems" that go with 40 ownership....including finding parking spots that are remote enough or placed strategically so that we can be sure we'll be able to get back in the car when we return. There's just something almost magical about the way a 40 looks :thumbsup: !!

Cheers from Doug!!

Photos of what vertical doors look like on a GT40.

The end result was fantastic, entry and exit was as good as if you had the door removed. Easy to use as well. Also meant it was easy to push the car around and steer with the door open. Same goes for loading onto trailer or tilt tray truck etc.

Not for everyone, but where there is a will there is a way...

Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_2115 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_2115 [800x600].jpg
    41 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2117 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_2117 [800x600].jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_2116 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_2116 [800x600].jpg
    44 KB · Views: 360
Craig, I've seen this car. Was owned by someone we know (nudge, wink). This configuration is not for everyone, but if you want practical doors on a GT40 used as a daily driver this is the best way to go IMHO. Keeps the "look"with the cut away roof sections, but opens cleanly out of the way without needing a spare parking spot beside you.. Brilliant.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I really think they are cool on the Lincoln but what happens when your battery goes dead? Kick out the window?

Jack they are manual vertical doors with gas strut assistance. Powered doors would drive me nuts.

Dalton, yes you have. But then again, you really do get around. :)

Back