Current LMP replica – is it possible?

A question i always wonder about is, how do this inlets scoopes handle the water when they race in rain ?
1120758651lg.jpg

1120758651le.jpg

TOM

I think many of the duct designs are manufactured to allow water to sling past the openings for air, into their own drains, in effect making a kind of water-air separator.

A little water in the intake serves to improve the charge density, and improves cooling, so even if the separator design is not perfect, there is no ill effect.

Of course, too much water could cause hydrolock, but evidently this isn't a problem.

I suspect that the use of air filters also greatly reduces water intake as well, so the use of both techniques is evidently adequate.

Looks like they are using a hydroshield (injen ans serveral other companies make them) over the filter(look at the first pic closely and you will see what I mean). That coupled with a drain of some sort and the heat from the engine bay and water is no longer an issue.

The Lola in the photo above is owned by as friend of mine and coincidently I casually asked him about the cost of a front clip, as Fran said replacement bodywork from Lola is eye wateringly expensive, this being about £120k and a similar amount for the rear. The car may be for sale if anyone is interested!
For 2011 RML / AD Group will compete in the Le Mans Series with a HPD, Honda Performance Development chassis and engine and which is currently reckoned to be the most competitive privateer package available

Engines can suck in a LOT of water. As long as the ignition system is up to speed, this is not a problem at all and can actually be beneficial as stated above. I've run water injection for years and have nothing but good experiences with it. I've run water up to 20% of the fuel injector duty cycle but would typically run it in the 10%-15% range.

Just to visually see how much water can easily run through an engine:
YouTube - Water injection plenum view through sightglass

Trevor, its a pitty your not more into Historic type sports cars as there could be the chance to build an M20 with parts from me in a year or two. For considerably less mony than what I've seen mentioned in this thread so far. Cheers Leonmac

The Lola in the photo above is owned by as friend of mine and coincidently I casually asked him about the cost of a front clip, as Fran said replacement bodywork from Lola is eye wateringly expensive, this being about £120k and a similar amount for the rear. The car may be for sale if anyone is interested!
For 2011 RML / AD Group will compete in the Le Mans Series with a HPD, Honda Performance Development chassis and engine and which is currently reckoned to be the most competitive privateer package available

So your friend has bought the car last year from germany ?

TOM

An owner of an Ultima just did a conversion similar to this. I do like how they vented the front so that the HOT air doesn't flow into the roof intake.

Last edited:

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
Yep the Aquila's ain't cheap. I wanted to buy a roller and put my own custom Daytona style LS6 in the back. They only sell complete cars.

Aquila wanted waaay more than 59k euro for their cars. I don't know how the guy is selling his for that. Must have some serious hours on it. Though I do like the newer BMW V8s they put in them. Flat 6/12s ain't the only game in town.

Greg, don't know if anybody is paying attention but I've been following Bailey Edwards Cars for many years on this side of the world. Currently building an RCR SL-C.

Hi Molleur

yes its a bit of an old thread but i thought i'd say something anyway.
thats great, how is your build going, what engine and gearbox are you fitting?
i don't know that much about the SLC, can one put different engines and gearbox configurations?
also things like the gearbox. is it stress bearing or is it resting in a steel space frame?

what do you intend to do with the car when you are done, road or race or both?

Thanks greg

Hi Greg

I too have been following Bailey Edwards and the work you've been doing on the LMP2 cars and have to say they look fabulous, but too far out of my price bracket unfortunately. I am still considering one of your Porsche 917's though as my next project once the GT40 is finished. I had planned on attempting to build a Lola B08/60 replica but the hunt for parts has gone cold and with the trouble at Lola at the moment could be quite difficult

Trev

Greg,
Please talk to Ron regarding vendors on the site, but as per my PM at least indicate that you are Bailey Edwards in you profile/avatar and also have a signature that says so in your posts. Thanks

Hey Greg,
Been following your work for quite a while. I wish you had a stronger presents here in the states as I would really like to see some of your cars - specifically your 917.

Back