Current value of Pantera ZF?

Greetings all. First post.

A little background: As a teenager in the mid '70s, I fell in love with sports racing cars of the mid '50 to late '60s and dreamed of someday acquiring an old race car and detuning it for road use. Along the way, the GT40 became the one I really wanted. By the time I was a young adult the advent of vintage racing and race car collecting morphed that dream into building a GT40 replica.

28 years ago I came across and bought a ZF trans that (I was told) came from a Pantera. It has languished under the same workbench for the last 25 years and as I look to the future, I am seriously questioning whether I would even find use for such a vehicle by the time I finished it. My vehicles must be (in season) able to be daily drivers. I do not do car shows and am not interested in building a track day car.

I know what a ZF transaxle was worth in the mid '80s. Of course there were a lot less transaxle options back then. So what is it worth -

• price for a complete one needing a full rebuild to one that is in very good condition?
  • Where would I put it up for sale? eBay does not seem like the right venue - then again I have not been looking to buy one (Yes, I realize this forum has a for sale section but as a seller I would want the largest potential audience and there are bound to be other styles of replicas that might be interested).
  • For a high dollar purchase of a used item, I would presume a potential buyer might want a third party review prior to purchase. Where do I find such a person? I've searched and read some of the threads and I don't want some ("I can fix anything") trans mechanic to hand me back my ZF in a collection of buckets or boxes.
  • How valuable are the Pantera mounting ears (I saw a parts wanted listing on this forum from someone looking for the mounting ears)? As I understand it, when used in a GT40 kit the Pantera mounting ears are not used - any ideas as to if these have value only to a Pantera owner or to other kit builders using a ZF? I am trying to decide whether to sell these off separately.
  • what else am I not considering (that I should) if I put the ZF up for sale?
Thank you for any insight you might be able to provide.

Back