Dimmers for Dash Lights

Has anyone installed a dimmer pot for the dash switches? I would like to use one, but would prefer to use a "thumbwheel" type instead of one with a knob. I'm having trouble finding a new one (alternative is going to a junk yard and pulling a used one). Can anyone suggest a supplier?

thanks

dave

Dave,

Are you planning to have a cover plate? Most factory thumb

wheel type dimmers are recessed into the existing dash

panel. Or are you that good with a Dremel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bill

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Bill, I plan to recess it from behind the dash and, as you suggest, if it comes out good (clean cut hole) leave it "as is". If the hole is an issue, I'll make a simple cover plate and cover it in leather trim to blend in. I plan to mount it on the lower portion of the dash (the curved portion) so that it is basically out of site on the bottom.

dave

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dave, I used a basic .5K varistor (rheostat) which does happen to have a knob, but have you looked at the various electrical supply sites for a thumb wheel version?

Regards,
Lynn

Hi Lynn,
yes I've looked at a number of electrical supply shops, but none of their thumbwheels "looked the part" for a car. I was just looking for inputs on car types that had them so I could go buy a new one (instead of wrecking my back trying to fish one out of a junkyard car!

thanks

dave

Worked on a 97-01 Honda CRV today, it has one, I seem to remember the 94-00 integra having that as well.

This any good?

Attachments

• 27023-dimmer.jpg
    27023-dimmer.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 320
Pontiac Grand Ams 92-95 and IIRC the entire GM N body line used the Thumb wheels for dimmers. The non fog light cars had only the thumb wheel in the snap panel, the fog light optioned cars have a rocker switch in the same snap panel.
I would suggest pulling a clean used one, over getting a new one if you go this route. Gm is very proud of thier parts.
Jim

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dave, I have not found the switch yet, but I have a whole loft of boxes to go through yet (yes I am a packrat.) Out of town for the week. I will start looking when I get back. The ones pictured above look a lot better than mine, as I recall.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn, No rush as I will be visiting my son and his wife in Canada for the holidays and will not be back in town until Jan. 5th.

To everyone else, I thank you all for your inputs - It seems that all I have to do now is price some and find one that is in the right $ range and plunk down some cash.

thank everyone & have a great holiday season!!

dave harris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back