Dolly size for RCR40 chassis

Randy Folsom

Supporter
RCR informed me that my order is nearing delivery :) In anticipation, I want make a chassis dolly like the one pictured under my basket case FFR Cobra replica.

Can someone please provide the dimensions of the main tub? Thx much.

The dolly is made up of 4X4s with 6” castors. It works out to be a convenient height of 10” off the floor.

image.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I can't give you exact dimensions, but will tell you that the type of dolly you have under the Cobra will not work under the GT - once you have the engine and transaxle in it. The GT becomes very tail-heavy. I'll see if I can find photos of the dolly we made and post them later. There was a support that went to the back of the car to the transaxle.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I can't give you exact dimensions, but will tell you that the type of dolly you have under the Cobra will not work under the GT - once you have the engine and transaxle in it. The GT becomes very tail-heavy. I'll see if I can find photos of the dolly we made and post them later. There was a support that went to the back of the car to the transaxle.
Randy, thx much for the guidance. Looking forward to seeing the photos. I was thinking I could place another, small footprint, dolly underneath the engine/transaxle when they are installed. That will also provide more wheels to share the load.
Cheers, Randy

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I made one the same as Randy's but out of steel but 14 inches high but still a bit tight using a creeper, a couple more inches would be better. It worked very well for the GT40 as well as the Cobra

Randy, FWIW, l currently have my car up on Quick Jacks. They measure 5’ long and they are spaced approx 38” apart to the outer edges. You can get an idea how the car is positioned from the photos.

I removed the engine and transaxle while it was up on the QJs, and it’s very stable either way.

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1225.jpeg
    IMG_1225.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 44

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I made one the same as Randy's but out of steel but 14 inches high but still a bit tight using a creeper, a couple more inches would be better. It worked very well for the GT40 as well as the Cobra
Being able to get under the Cobra with a creeper would be helpful, but, there’s nothings under the RCR40. That being said, I might opt for four more inches using additional 4x4 blocks to make it more comfortable to work on.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy, FWIW, l currently have my car up on Quick Jacks. They measure 5’ long and they are spaced approx 38” apart to the outer edges. You can get an idea how the car is positioned from the photos.

I removed the engine and transaxle while it was up on the QJs, and it’s very stable either way.
Thx much. I have thinking to build this lift for when I am doing body work because I can adjust the height. The problem with lifts however is that they are not mobile. I want to be able to move the car around to make room for other projects.

Cheers,
Randy

Paul T.

Supporter
Being able to get under the Cobra with a creeper would be helpful, but, there’s nothings under the RCR40. That being said, I might opt for four more inches using additional 4x4 blocks to make it more comfortable to work on.
There isn't much under it but you'll be surprised how much time you're going to spend under it. Lots to do and easy access to the bottom is definitely a plus. Mine spends most it's time over a pit and it seams like I've been under it almost as much as up top.

;)Thx much. I have thinking to build this lift for when I am doing body work because I can adjust the height. The problem with lifts however is that they are not mobile. I want to be able to move the car around to make room for other projects.

Cheers,
Randy
Looks like a lot of work and expense to make something less mobile than QJs…;)

I got mine like new on eBay for around $1K. They lift the car 23” and I hang them on the wall when not in use.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.png
    IMG_0154.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 38

David Garton

Supporter
Love My 6K ones and this is it setting on first notch. Perfect for this set up and can set it up anywhere in the shop. Black Friday sale saved 20%.

1711712347321.png
1711712347321.png

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Bendpak ???
I want to be able to move the car around in the shop. I might get a two post lift for my 3rd car garage, which has a ten foot ceiling, but that will be for car storage. The really is no need to work on the bottom of a GT40. Nothing but a large plate of aluminum.

Btw Randy, the only reason I mentioned the QJs was to provide you with workable dimensions for a dolly. 5’ L x 38” W should be perfect dolly dimensions when positioned as shown in photos.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I'm considering another hoist or lift of some sort because of a poor shop plan. 1 24 ft. door on the end of a 30 x 60 foot deep shop. 4 cars and room for winter storage and room to play means castors are used under a number of things.
I'm happy with the Bendpac HD9 hoist. A castor kit is available for it. Casters could be put under a small lift as well quite easy. I spent quite a bit of time on a creeper under the rear of my 40 when building. What ever you do have fun with it, lots of options !!

[spam: remove if not allowed]
I have a Scizzor-Lift FOR SALE (you can see the QuickJacks in the corner - Dont need both).
VERY heavy and local to Metro-Detroit only. ASKING $600...

Photo of it raised about 25% of total lift:
1712071712311.png

Back