Duke Video 'Ford GT40 the story'

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Duke Video \'Ford GT40 the story\'

Hi all,
Was in Halfords last sunday and came across and bought a Duke DVD 'Ford GT40 the story' 75 minutes long. I enjoyed it, it covers the history reasonably well, and has good footage, including an in car film of a test lap of Goodwood. Also liked the insightful interview with Eric Broadley.
I did a forum search but couldn't find any reference to this video, so just to let you all know that its out there, here is part of the advertising blurb.
"This programme goes under the bonnet of a 20th century icon. It features archive and contemporary footage of the original GT40s with Tiff Needell putting two very different works cars through their paces. Just crank up the volume to hear the fabulous V8 roar as our on-board camera records Tiff pushing the speedo past 200mph – not bad for a 40 year old car! The breathtaking new GT model is captured on road and track, taking the model’s legacy into the 21st century. They say Ferrari should be really worried about the Ford GT, and in this programme you can see, and hear, why. Featuring exclusive interviews with GT40 designer Eric Broadley and Le Mans winner Jackie Oliver."

regards
Dave

Keith

Re: Duke Video \'Ford GT40 the story\'

How much is it Dave? Sounds like a great stocking filler!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

I may be wrong on this and I KNOW someone will correct me if I am, BUT it appears this is available in PAL format only. I didn't see any information on the locale format of the DVD either. So, if you are in the USA, make sure that this product will be viewable with your equipment before sending $$.

Lynn

Keith

Yo! Just bought it. £14.49 with postage in the UK. Christmas has come early!

Keith

Based in the Isle of Man: Mail Order Sales + 44 (0) 1624 640000

Just received my copy this morning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif $39.99 AUD From Pitstop Bookshop. Can't wait.

[ QUOTE ]
I may be wrong on this and I KNOW someone will correct me if I am, BUT it appears this is available in PAL format only.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but it appears I can't correct you. The US branch of Duke Video doesn't list the video.

The only GT40 vidoes at Duke USA are a video of the '89 GT40 reunion at Watkin's Glen and "The Carroll Shelby Story".

Got it for my birthday (yesterday now that you ask.....) very good. The hillclimb videos look strangely familiar..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bought it trough Ebay last month.
Excellent video and give a good historic overview until today incl an original one owned by a private and the new one with a great comments from Oliver(ie:the best GT40 replica...)
Fred

A load of poo!

The historic info was o.k, but all seen before.

The music that was overdubbed during the in car was a total load of shite!

The driving sequences at the airfield were boring as...

Another crap Duke video.

Not imnpressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Lynn

I do not know about converting from PAL to NTSC but presumably similar to the other way around.

We have purchased Videos in USA and they play on our VCR (It is a VCR that is normally a PAL system byt allows NTSC playback - no problem

Purchased DVD in USA and they would not play pver here - there are 5 world regoins on the DVD format and they try to stop movement by selling DVDs with only 1 region.

Get the make and model of your DVD player and do a Google search. Chances are there is a "Removal Code" that you punch into your DVD player with the remote and suddenly you have a Multi region player.Total time to convert our machine was less than a minute and it now plays USA DVDs perfectly

Hope this helps

Ian

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter

What happened JP? Get out of the wrong side of the dvd player this morning did we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I hated the overdubbed music too, but liked the historical footage and the interviews. I dont have any other GT40 videos. Are there any other videos/dvd's worth getting?
btw The taster for the club nurburgring dvd looks really good.
regards
Dave

No Dave I stamped on the DVD player this morning for playing such dribble!

There are a number of videos/dvd's. To be honest they have historic content but few capture the drama of the GT40.

I think the best I've seen yet is the GTD Club DVD.

Plenty of action etc.

Regards,

J.P

Malcolm

Supporter

If only we could drive the damn things as well as Jackie et al....

Keith

I have to agree with JP on this one - it's a fairly poorly made video (on the cheap) and even Tiff Needell seemed to be on tranquilisers. There were 2 interesting bits though (for me). One was the site of a film cameraman getting violently attacked by a member of the Porsche pit crew and the other was a reference by Jackie Oliver that the new Ford GT was "a replica of a GT40" Priceless! So... all you "replica" guys out there, if Ford has "replicated" the original,(instead of creating a new car) does this mean that your cars are of equal value to the new GT? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Ian,

Very cool information! I was unaware of this capability. I will check it out for sure.

Thanks again,
Lynn

MWGT40

Supporter

I have just bought the DVD and thought that it was good but could have been a lot better. The highlights for me were:

* the female owner of the rather nice MKI who I discovered must live just up the road from me in Tilford. Must look her up!

* the extras where I discovered that they had included footage from the GTD club racing up Sloc, Creg Ny Baa and Lhergy Frissel (specifically Andrew Fordyce and Roy Smart in car footage from 2002 by the looks of it) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I am not sure they had asked for permission to show that and will check with Andrew and Roy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hi Martin /all -

They did have permission - and the footage is of Andrew, Roy and myself up each of the three hills. Un-edited it does not give the same feel that Andrew managed to capture on the 2002 DVD set.

I have seen much of the 2003 DVD set and it looks even better - a real masterclass of editing from Andrew and will hopefully be available in the not too distant future.

Also - as mentioned above - the clubs trip to the Nurburg ring is now available on DVD in both PAL and NTSC (disc on its way to USA for pre-release testing).

Cost is likely to be £13.95 including UK postage with overseas postage charged additionally.

It is a great 'memory lane' experience of GT40s (reps) en-route and at the ring and runs for about 20-25 minutes if memory serves me correct.

To those that have already emailed me re the DVD - I will email all of you later this week..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I reckon this DVD is excellent. It captures the passion of the GT40 from its birth, has some excellent rare original footage (watch the flag marshalls!)and is a must have for any genuine GT40 enthusiast. Great shots of the new GT as well - worth buying a multi-region DVD player for!

Back