Dunlop Sport SP8000

Bill,
I drag raced a Ferrari F355 twice in my Cobra. 0 ~ 110, I won both times. So,,is my cobra better??! I don't care, Does it look better? Hell yeh, Form over function? I certainly hope so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course none of you guys bought GTs for the looks, right? Top of the line performance was the only reason for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Here is a quote from someone we all like and respect, Hersh.

"The new GT is no where near our replicas or the real thing. If you put a Zo6, a Viper and a new GT next to each other and had a thousand people walk up and pick which one they would want. I'll bet the majority would still pic the GT. Mainly I believe this because of the styling. It has way more WOW! factor than the other two. It has the exotics of rear engine and the "looks" of a great grand touring race car.
Even after I have said all that I would pick the Viper GTS coupe. I think that the Viper has about the best all around performance of the three. As with the original GT the Viper has made it's place in racing history.
Personally I feel the new GT got screwed when they shoehorned in that huge over weight engine that was meant for front wheel drive cars. They could have went the extra mile as Chrysler did and put in an aluminium block of 10 or even 12 cylinders."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Faili,
I meant every word of it to, but it only pertains to the late model versions. As far as the replica GT40's, they can be built to be an unbelievable handling machine that can still compete on many circuits today. Then again some will be built to do nothing more than to attract attention and be polished for a special show. Mine is some where in the middle I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
As far as the SP8000's go, they work for me. They handle well on the track and do a super job on the road epecially when the road is wet. If I had intentions of spending many hours on the track then by all means I would be runnin' the Yoke's. As stated above they are keen for the track. I guess the best senario would be to have another set of tyres and wheel for the track.
Howard, I have just a tad of understeer but I think it's the drivers fault for not slowing enough before the turn.:D
The 205/16 were used on many Porches and they weigh a little more than a GT40. Tires have so many variables like heat range. softness, width, air pressure, wheel weight. All this stuff is important if you are serious about racing.
You gotta compromize no matter which way you go.That's why I think racing is 90% trail and error for equipment.

Hersh:)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks for the input Hersh, I am trying to find a size that will fit without rubbing first and formost, then be verygood on the street, look more like the 60's tires than the new Goodyear F1 raintire types, and work safely and reasonibly well for a few track days a year. I think that these tires just about fit my requirements. I will likely get a second set of wheels and hoosiers for the track at some point in the future anyway. Again thanks. Fred BOO on the V Cars!! Love ya man!

Howard, I got the oversized tires, now If I could only install that V10 behind my head and mess up the balance of the car. I would never mention the V again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you can get that dodge in the back of your car then you're a better man than I. I'm ready for the brake and light inspection and I would like to hear your experiance, where did you go?, etc. before I go somehere and get shot down because the front lights are too low or some such thing. Also did you go to DMV for the chassis serial number sign off? I would like to avoid that place if I can. I would like to get a local cop to do it for me. You know a "hotrod type" cop would be perfect. What did you do for that?

Ron Earp

Admin
If you spend some time and cash you can have or build a V8 that will do everything that V10 will and then some. You'll never think about the V10 again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Howard,

Sorry for responding so late,,, I didn't have to do anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The car is registered as a 1965 Ford GT. I had my plates before I had and engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif On the Cobra though I had to see the CHP, CARB, DMV,,,. It should be easy these days with SB100 and all. Call me at work and we can talk about it

Ron,

I can't respond on the "V" subject....I don't want to get the brotherhood pissed off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Next time you see the V motor, look at it and then look at your 302/347/351/392 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know that its way off topic, but the comments about the Viper are just too juicy to let go without comment.

Here in Australia we have a major production based racing category called Nations cup. It consists of exotics like Porche GT3s, Lamborgini Diablos, Ferraris and Vipers. It is a parity formula, which means that the fast cars are slowed and the slow cars are sped up, all in the interest of closer racing. The most notable aspect about the competing Vipers is that they are given considerable concessions in the handling and braking department and little (if any) penalties in horsepower.

Getting back on topic what are the Dunlop's like? Thinking about buying a set for some serious road use.

Regards,

J.P

Howard Jones

Supporter
I bought a set, 225X45X17 and 285X35X17 from the tirerack.com for less than 800 bucks complete. When I get them mounted on my new wheels and I get my car just a little further along I'll let you know how they work.

I have SP8000s on my Cobra replica ... 335 35 17s in a narrowed rear end. Terrific street tire. Good balance of wear and sticky. The little 347 stroker makes 335 hp at the rear wheels and the tires get it to the ground.

Will put them on the GT40 if it ever gets completed ;>)

mike

Back