Early CAV Brake Pads

Pat

Supporter
Doesn anyone have a USA source for early CAV disk brake pads? Are they OEM available as a Cobra part?

Do you have the current pad number you are using? I may be able to cross reference it for you? Could you use Ferodo?

Pat

Supporter
I haven't pulled the pads as yet. I was wondering if somone knew.

Jim,
It must be the panic stops from when I scare myself ;)

Attachments

• CAV brake calipers.jpg
    CAV brake calipers.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 238
Thanks Cliff, do those fit the CAV brackets?

Veek, I have CAV mono #6 and, yup, they fit.

It's a pretty standard caliper used on newer Mustangs. If you want to try a couple different types of pads then just order up a couple different sets using a Mustang (roughly '95-'02) as the reference car.

Are the calipers that much better than the willwood set on my cav? Are we talking about an earlier car than mine which is #61? I would like to use a different set of pads that would be more aggressive than stock.

Tom, I'd think that your willwood calipers are actually a little better. The Cobra calipers used on early CAVs are single piston, and pretty basic.

Why do you want to use a more aggessive pad?

If you're having to use a lot of leg to apply the brakes you could try a different booster, or gain a little more leverage on the pedal perhaps....??

I am finding that I am getting a bit of fade after pushing the car hard into turn 2. I suppose that if I plumb some cooling to the fronts, that will help quite a bit as well. The Porsche club had a track day last Thursday and I took the vette. The pads that I usually have for the car were out of stock and I put on a set of stock oem pads. What a difference pads make on the performance.

When the discussion came up about the CAV earlier cars, I thought that mine was one of those being mentioned. (being pre 100).

Thanks for the input.

Tom: Cooling will help with fade. Also fluid is a huge part. Are you using a good racing fluid and a fresh bleeding before the event?

Back