Early style steering wheel boss

Trev,
looks fine. You might not need the adatper plate. Bolt the steering wheel direct to the boss using countersunk screws & then cover with the boss.
Regards
Andy
PS how much is the wheel & boss from Gelscoe, as I've yet to source my wheel

Trev,
looks fine. You might not need the adatper plate. Bolt the steering wheel direct to the boss using countersunk screws & then cover with the boss.
Regards
Andy
PS how much is the wheel & boss from Gelscoe, as I've yet to source my wheel

Hmm, I see what your saying but I don't think it will work as the Gelscoe PCD is 78mm and I have a feeling the Mountney PCD is larger and probably bigger than the centre of the steering wheel. So I guess an adapter is the way to go.

It's all a bit of guess work at the moment as I don't know how the Tornado steering assembly comes and at what point I could convert it to fit the wheel. It might be that the removable boss itself is too big for the wheel so I'd either have to create a step style adapter or possibly look at fitting an alternative boss.

I think the best thing to do is order the steering assembly from Tornado and then see what goes where. I've also sent Wealden Engineering an email as I know Frank makes adapters for Moto Lita wheels so maybe able to help.

Time to call in the professinals :)

Trev

Last edited:
Still had no response from Gelscoe, so go on let us know what they charge as I do prefer the early center cap.

Hi Trevor,
You won't it find in the Moto Lita catalogue as it's a special.
It was a while back....

A couple of years ago I looked at the Moto Lita website and they listed the original GT40 wheel (in blue or black leather as mentioned above) in the 'classic replacement wheels' section. Now it's no longer there, yet we know they continue to make them.

I wonder why they removed it from their website? Perhaps because Gelscoe has exclusive distribution rights for the originals? I know Superformance uses a variant of the original wheel, with a too-thick grip, also made by Moto Lita.

Odd that they no longer market them directly? :huh:

Back