Engine and Transaxle Stand

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I want to weld up a stand/cradle that allows for assembly of the engine, bell housing and transaxle. Some sort of arrangement that does not rely on the bell housing mount holes. Hoping someone has pictures or plans.

Steven Lobel

Supporter
I used a cherry picker and the LS assembly lift hooks. A simple saw horse setup or small table for the transmission to sit on. The cherry picker can slide around to allow mating of the engine to trans.

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I built mine on top of a hydraulic lift table. The advantage is that I can adjust height and use it for other tasks. When not in use, I can stack stuff on it or lower it and push it under a bench or shelves so that it doesn't take up space.

I fabricated two engine mounts which bolt to the top of the table. I used a motorcycle jack under the dry sump which allows me to precisely tilt the engine when mating the transaxle (nice to have, but not required). The transaxle was suspended on an engine lift and an engine leveler which allowed me to tilt the transaxle. Once the transaxle is mated, I put a block under the rear of the engine and remove the motorcycle jack and put the engine lift away. This allows me to push the entire assembly around the shop and adjust its height. It worked great and everything other than the small engine mounts can be used for other purposes.

Engine being mated to the engine. The lift table is yellow and the custom engine mounts are blue. The engine mounts are taller than typical because my exhaust crosses under the oil pan.

1696030400571.png

1696030500095.png

1696030592248.png

Last edited:

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I built mine on top of a hydraulic lift table. The advantage is that I can adjust height and use it for other tasks. When not in use, I can stack stuff on it or lower it and push it under a bench or shelves so that it doesn't take up space.

I fabricated two engine mounts which bolt to the top of the table. I used a motorcycle jack under the dry sump which allows me to precisely tilt the engine when mating the transaxle. The transaxle was suspended on an engine lift. Once the transaxle is mated, I put a block under the rear of the engine and remove the motorcycle jack and put the engine lift away. This allows me to push the entire assembly around the shop and adjust its height. It worked great and everything other than the small engine mounts can be used for other purposes.

Engine being mated to the engine. The lift table is yellow and the custom engine mounts are blue. The engine mounts are taller than typical because my exhaust crosses under the oil pan.

View attachment 132936

View attachment 132937

View attachment 132938
Thx much. I have a HF motorcycle lift and I have a motorcycle floor jack so I think I will follow your lead and just bolt the stand that came with the crate motor to the table and use my chain hoist to position the engine and transaxle. I’ll do like you and use the MC floor jack to position the transaxle. I was going to use the HF MC lift to hold up the car, but I can make a simple trolley for that. Cheers, Randy

Neil

Supporter
Now I feel really dumb :-(. Do you still have it?
Don't feel bad, Randy you don't see them every day. I sold it around 1990; the price of Ferraris started to skyrocket after Enzo died and I had an attractive offer from Ed Niles over the telephone. He flew from LA into Tucson, started it up in my driveway, wrote me a check and drove it back to his home in Los Angeles. He then re-did the leather interior and re-painted the original silver to another color. Ed sent me a photo of the finished restoration of #4209. I think it belongs to someone in Japan now. It was a supremely easy car to drive. I wrote an article in the 250GTE magazine last year about what driving a Ferrari on the street every day was like. Regards, Neil

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Don't feel bad, Randy you don't see them every day. I sold it around 1990; the price of Ferraris started to skyrocket after Enzo died and I had an attractive offer from Ed Niles over the telephone. He flew from LA into Tucson, started it up in my driveway, wrote me a check and drove it back to his home in Los Angeles. He then re-did the leather interior and re-painted the original silver to another color. Ed sent me a photo of the finished restoration of #4209. I think it belongs to someone in Japan now. It was a supremely easy car to drive. I wrote an article in the 250GTE magazine last year about what driving a Ferrari on the street every day was like. Regards, Neil
Neil, That’s a great story and some good memories for sure. Cheers, Randy

I have the same stand. It came with the motor from Prestige. I didn’t think it would support both the engine and transaxle but obviously it does. So that is exactly what I am going to do. Where did you get wheels with channel mounts? Thx for sharing. Cheers, Randy
That really is a nifty looking mount.

I'm familiar with finding those kind of wheels on caster mounts; usually in automatic gate/fencing hardware. or it could be some of these casters, but with a little triangular L-bracket lengthwise. I tried engaging my safety squints to zoom in and it looks like there's vertical bolts through where normal casters would attach.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
That really is a nifty looking mount.

I'm familiar with finding those kind of wheels on caster mounts; usually in automatic gate/fencing hardware. or it could be some of these casters, but with a little triangular L-bracket lengthwise. I tried engaging my safety squints to zoom in and it looks like there's vertical bolts through where normal casters would attach.
Thx much. I ended up just bolting the mounts to a furniture dolly. The dolly was on sale at HF for less than the cost of casters alone. That also allowed me to move the engine forward on the dolly so it will be more stable with the transaxle and bell housing attached.

Thx much. I ended up just bolting the mounts to a furniture dolly. The dolly was on sale at HF for less than the cost of casters alone. That also allowed me to move the engine forward on the dolly so it will be more stable with the transaxle and bell housing attached.
Share an updated picture? :)

Back