Engine-Fuel Injection Combinations: Prices and Sources

What are some of the popular engine and fuel injection systems being used in the CAV and RCR cars?

What is a good budget number for them?

Who are the common suppliers?

Which applications are the easiest to install in the CAV and RCR?

Thanks
Keith

I think your installation will be very similar in both applications.
What do you have in mind.....speed density, mass air flow?
Eight throttle bodies, mega squirt, Holley.....???

There sre so many variables...give us a little more insight.

Thanks

I like the look of having eight velocity stacks, I assume that this can be accomplished with more than one fuel injection system manufacturer? In the US

I consider 400 to 450 hp to be sufficient. Would prefer using a small block (to conserve weight) but what ever is more affordable to build and maintain would be primary concern. What is the weight difference between an aluminum block vs steel? What is the price difference? Can used aluminum blocks be found?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
keitmoody said:
What is the weight difference between an aluminum block vs steel? What is the price difference? Can used aluminum blocks be found?

My research into the Dart aluminum small block indicates there is slightly more than 100 pounds weight saving, compared to a FRPP R-302 block (the bare Dart 8.2" block is said to weigh in at under 100 pounds). As for cost, the Dart seems to run at least twice and almost 3 times as much. From what I've read on this forum, reducing the weight on the rear end helps balance the handling and is like getting 40-50 free horsepower, so it's an individual decision about whether or not that is worth the added cost (how much more would it cost you to increase the horsepower of your engine by 50 at the level of build you are considering, not to mention what would that increased build do to the longevity of the motor?). I have yet to find a used alloy block, but I don't eBay, so I don't know what's available there.

Good luck. I'm wrestling with much the same hard choices you are.

Doug

Last edited:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Doug -

Here is the list that I compiled a while ago. Would be nice to get all the engines on it, here ya' go :D

<Cut from another thread, bare block only>

Dart Aluminum Block 8.2" deck 83 lbs
Dart Iron Block 8.2" deck 160 lbs
M-6010-F302 SVO Aluminum 8.2 deck block 92 Lbs

Dart Aluminum Block 9.5" deck 93lbs
Dart Iron Block 9.5" deck 195 lbs

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hi Keith-

I'm sure you'll get used to this but the first words of advice for seeking knowledge on the forum is to start with the search function. There are truckloads of info on this site with astonishingly little spray and you should be able to find what you're looking for if it's out there.

But on the topic you're investigating, I have already asked a similar question in THIS THREAD. I am building a SBF for an RCR with a ZF trans. I'll be using the Edelbrock system and will post as I make progress with it.

Good luck with your project!

Back