Engine mount confusion....

A little confused here about engine mounts for my '02 CAV.

Basically, the engine bounces around quite a bit on the forward mounts to the point that there's considerable shimmy when moving away from a stop. I'm guessing it's really a combination of things causing this behavior - soft engine mounts, flywheel needs refacing, slop in the CV's, etc. I put in new CVs and that helped but I see that the engine is shimmying as the clutch is let out. The engine mounts look to be standard rubber mounts of moderate/soft durometer rating. Pic attached of what I have.

They look to be the same as this mount shown on Summit for Mustang/Fairlane/etc: Lakewood Suspension 24094 - Lakewood Muscle Motor Mounts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I'd like to install a firmer mount. I've been looking around on the web but I'm not finding much. Anyone have a similar mount but in a firmer durometer that they can recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• engingmount.jpg
    engingmount.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,086
Whoever built that car did you no favours, the mount fitted with the loose bolt is from an early 'Custom 500' where fitted with a 289 & has the reversed 'ears' at the chassisend plus sits the motor lower due to the slight difference in the engine mount part of the mount, doubt that item Fran has posted will even fit your car, due to bolt spacing etc. Also your chassis bracket needs a flat plate welded as per the modded photo, but then Ive told you that already in an earlier post when you spent a week looking for other reasons before discovering the missing bolt etc...

Last edited:
Cliff:
Napa #602-1152
I agree with Jac on the loose bolt deal, 7/16 fits loosely and 1/2" just doesn't fit.
I have used these in low performance setups such as a stock motor, but was always concerned with the possibility that the mount would separate under extreme torque.
I have seen mounts fabricated from plate, with a thru bolt in the (almost) vertical plane with urethane bushes top and bottom, a tubular spacer inside the bushings allows for controlled tension and can't allow the urethane to be crushed.
Stock mounts are designed to also absorb a certain amount of vibration, and are really sucesptable to degredation from engine oil and heat.
You may need to have your chassis modified to do that.
Cheers
Phil

Thank you JacMac and all, much appreciated, great information.

I did buy a pair of the prothane mounts and while I haven't tried to install them yet they do look to be dimensionally the same as far as the engine bolt spacing and the spacing of the chassis-side bracket.

I'll get the engine on the hoist and see how it goes. Good chance JacMac's prediction is spot on and they don't fit in which case the engine will be hanging on the hoist for a week or so while I much around with mods or acquiring a different mount that does fit.......

So, as usual, JacMac is right. Unfortunately, the Prothane mounts from Summit listed above won't work. While they have the right spacing on the chassis mount, they are too tall to work. They are about 1/2 inch tall in height/length from the chassis bolt/mount to the face that bolts to the engine.

The existing mounts are quite squat and compact. Definitely more squat and compact than the mounts from Summit above. Unfortunately, it appears as if the rubber is deteriorated and gone soft, so I do need to replace these.

So here's my question, does anyone know of a mount compatible with the "Custom 500" mounts that I have? In other words, dimensionally the same? Preferably something with a little firmer durometer than just your regular old rubber?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Mount1.jpg
    Mount1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 399
  • Mount2.jpg
    Mount2.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 546
Cliff, I have two of the mounts you require here, just like the one's you have taken off, but with the addition of a 'safety bolt' that prevents total failure, if your interested I will take a photo or two with a ruler beside the critical dimensions for you to check, if you decide you want them Im quite happy to send to you in USA on the proviso that you buy & send something back to me of equivalent value.. in fact I can already think of a US$40.00 item I saw on ebay the other night that the seller wont accept anything other than paypal & wont ship outside USA.

Hi Jacmac,

Thank you, that sounds like a super square deal for sure - definitely an upgrade over the junky mounts I have presently.

One thing I'm trying to achieve in the process of swapping out the engine mounts is to get mounts in there with a higher durometer rating, perhaps something like the poly mounts prothane makes (but which actually fit!). I don't suppose what you have is a poly mount, is it??

Thank you again JacMac.

Kevin Box

Supporter
Alternative may be something like this on EBAY AU

FORD V8 CLEVELAND WINDSOR HEAVY DUTY ENGINE MOUNT XW XY

Item 330511364669

Attachments

• Ford Engine mount.jpg
    Ford Engine mount.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 450
Hi Jacmac,

Thank you, that sounds like a super square deal for sure - definitely an upgrade over the junky mounts I have presently.

One thing I'm trying to achieve in the process of swapping out the engine mounts is to get mounts in there with a higher durometer rating, perhaps something like the poly mounts prothane makes (but which actually fit!). I don't suppose what you have is a poly mount, is it??

Thank you again JacMac.

No its not a poly mount, it looks exactly like the one on the right of the pic you posted & the only bonus is it has the 'safety' bolt thru the rubber block. If its any help the part # is 10A039 & its sold here in NZ by 'The Mount Shop'. Ive added the critical dimension to your pic & attached it... The dimension is from the c/l thru the attach lugs of the chassis part to one of the block attach holes. No problem if you want to pursue the poly mount option, just pm me or do a fresh post on this thread, I'll see it :)

Last edited:
Well here I am posting to Cliff's question in John's thread and you guys are over here with the real conversation! Based on your question over there I posted some that were a little more direct replacement for what you already had.

Let me know if you come across any poly mounts, I haven't had time to look for them yet, they're still a little further down on my list.

Back