Engine tilt

I'm many months into my build and now thinking about fabricating my gearbox mounts and I have noticed that some engines and gear boxes seem to tilt more than others i.e. the front of the engine lower than the gearbox. Is this to combat oil/water/fuel surge? If so, is there a guide to how much tilt would be required for a 302 with attached UN1

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Mine is tilted slightly up at the gearbox mount - this was purely to get clearance between the starter & the main right rear chassis rail. About 3/16" of spacers went under the gearbox mount (extreme back of box).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Lorry, Caution with engine tilted down at the front. These engines were designed to be higher at the front to prevent air pockets in the heads etc. I personally would recommend flat or up at front. Even with a flat engine you will need to run lines from back of Manifold. Other members may have experience with engines tilted down.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Trevor - good point. Now that you mention it, I realise that as these engines all came from front-engine / rear drive cars, they always had a quite noticeable "nose-up" attitude - thus no problem with water ports only at the front.

My DC&O manifold (same as used on most EFI DRB's & RF's) was originally designed for front-engine installation, & that probably explains why they only have front water ports as standard. However, almost everybody who uses them in GT's has tapped water ports at the back of the manifold. I followed suit on the basis of others' advice without really understanding why, but now it makes sense.

Lorry, how about updating your personal info - where are you located, & what are you building ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Lorry
The other thing to consider when installing the UN1 transmission is that the 5th gear is at the back of the box and when tilted down at the front has been known to run low on oil because of the angle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brian.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
And dont forget to allow for the rake in your car. ie front should be lower ride height than rear

Back