ERA GT40 on e-Bay

Yeah,,, well ok. Not the market I am most interested in... Wish that one was back. Looks like this one is RHD. I'd prefer LHD. Wish there were more/better pics. Thanks all,

Does anybody know anything about this vehicle? I'm scheduled to see and would like as much info as possible before. Have talked with owner and ERA but looking for "street" knowledge. Thanks, Chuck

My wife and I flew from Houston to Chicago and saw this car on Friday Sept. 5th. The car is #2042 and in great condition and well sorted. Fully sorted 347 sbf (owner builds motors). It has a -1 ZF without speedo drive. Still on ERA's Certificate of Origin and never registered. Fully sorted suspension with corner balance and revised spring rates. No parking brake set up. Weak a/c and a minor in-traffic cooling issue. Stripes under clearcoat and quality fit/finish with some nice attention to detail.

This week, I sorted out registration and inspection in Texas. Solved the speedo drive issue with RBT. Sorted out the necessary parts for parking brake, a/c and cooling with backup plans. Solved insurance and spousal issue (as part of the bargain with my wife sold my big-engined lightweight early 911 yesterday morning to a guy who had been wanting to buy for a few years). Lined up a transporter I know from porsches. Called owner after the 911 sale and said let's go at full price ($76k).

He called back this am. He has elected not to sell the car at all for non-price reasons. I'm a little stymied as to how to respond. Any advise out there? Anybody want to sell their ERA?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Chuck
now more ex-porsche than ever

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Chuck, this is a shame and you have my sympathy, especially since you sold your other car and now don't have a sports car to drive.
I went through something like this on a much reduced scale a few years ago: met the asking price on a nice 71 MB 6.3, then the guy shopped the offer around, bested it, and sold it to someone else. I did eventually buy a 6.3, and a good one, but for more money and two years later. Better color, though, and needing less, so it is probably even.
The guy screwed you, no two ways about it. There is probably not much you can do other than to complain to Ebay. Unless you had a written agreement which he breached, you likely don't have much recourse, I am afraid.
The story about not selling it for whatever reason is crap. He's been trying to sell the car most of 2003, or longer. He got a higher offer. I wish him joy of his bargain, what goes around comes around, and that you find another ERA.
There's a Mallock car on the website here, rarer than an ERA, maybe that's worth looking into. Good luck.

Chuck

have patience there is a better GT40 to come onto the market from a new player in the game, It will take this market by storm.
You will be pleased that this deal did not happen, keep hold of your money and have patience.

Regards
Chris.

Chuck,

Not a good experience huh? He should at least comp you for your airfare & expense.

I've left you a private message. Please contact me,

Thanks to all for the support on and off line. I was in NYC the rest of the week working my rear off and the distraction was good. The observationns for 9/11 were tasteful and touching.

The guy's name wasn't Bill.

Called the seller back Friday just to make sure he hasn't "solved his problem" Nope. He also clearly understands my full cash offer. Oh well. Worth a try. I'm sending him a copy of my hotel/rent car and airfare and told him I trust him to do the right thing and would of course adjust the purchase price up for any amount he forwarded. Just wish I had not traded 100,000 miles for Continental tickets. Those miles come at the expense of my rear and are precious.

Oh well. Calling ERA this week and see what else they know of any for sale. Wouldn't mind a build but I have to be realistic about time constraints for the next couple of years.

I'll post a few pics when I get them developed. In the excitement of arriving, I left my digital camera in the rent car when we drove to the owner's house. Thanks goodness for my wife bringing an old-school back up.

Best to all, Chuck

Chris my friend...how are you? Now that you've mentioned a new player; any tidbits or information leaks you'd like to tell us? It sounds exciting.

Have fun!

John

Back