European honeymoon advice please

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan,
+1 on what you said. However I do agree with David that Bologna has some of the best quisine in the world. It seems that the best chefs in Italy ended up there and even the local trattoria's are excellent.

"However?" See post #2....

Now you're making me drool again.....

regardless of where you end up in Europe, I can almost guaranty that you will have a great time and lifetime memories. Don't worry about picking the "wrong" place - there is no such thing.

I have to take exception to "avoid Florence and Venice, go to Rome" and the remark about Belgian food being superior. Simple generalizations like that about any major cultural center in any country are inherentlyl bad advice. These are matters of personal taste and every place of cuisine has its own special attractions and issues.[/QUOTE]

To clarify, I lived in Northern europe for 9 years, and compared to German and Dutch food, the Belgians do a far better job - as per my taste buds.

I just did a tour around Florence and Rome (actually two trips to Rome in two months), and if you love being around tourists, mediocre food and standing in lines, hit Florence. I have heard similar comments about Venice.

An old acquaintance lived in Florence 20 years ago (he bought a flat 5 minutes from Piazza Duomo), originated from Rome, and said that in Florence one cannot escape the tourists.

Rome is full as well, but the city is much larger, and you can find places where the tourists don't visit.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
There are definitely no chips - french fries - call them what you will - like those in Belgium. At Spa there used to be a Fiterie named "Friterie de Circuit" and even if we were not actually going to Spa but passing by on the motorway, we always use to divert for a plate of Pommis with Mayo and a coffee. Its gone now but the Fiterie down on the Masta straight below Rivage is nearly as good.
Sorry Richard - I digressed.
Dave

+1 Dave. After I made my post, I thought about McDonalds' fries, how they originate in Belgium, the fact they are cooked in two different vats of oil at two different temperatures. Crisp, and dry, not oily.

I even learned to like their mayo on frites.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
This website is now so diverse and yet so relaxed about who says what. A few years ago some (of us) used to jump up and down claiming threads to be their own. I am pleased that stupidity has gone away.
Now back to where to go and stay in Europe for Richard and Martha. It's definitely a really good thread .

Richard - I second the comment made earlier that there is not really a "bad" place to choose in Europe, it just depends on your personal taste. I have travelled extensively around most of Europe and here are a few high spots. Belguim - Gent or Brugges, both "gothic" cities with fantastic scapes and friendly people. Belgium has in my opinion the best beer anywhere but be careful some of it is very strong (13%). France, obviously Paris, but some of the countryside is also glorious and you get a true flavour of the country. Germany - Berlin of course, but the Rhine valley, Bavaria and the Black forest are also lovely. Austria, Switzerland and Northern Italy with the Alps are great to drive, some of the passes are breathtaking. Italy's Amalfi coast, Sorrento and Naples (Pompeii and Herculaneum) take a lot of beating. Spain can be beautiful in regions and a visit to the Codornui wine cellars is worthwhile ( we went there on our honeymoon back in 1980 and again with two of our daughters 20 years later). Of course the UK has so many things to do and sights to see that there are too many to list. I live in the far south west and it rivals the Mediterranean for beauty and is highly recommended for a visit. Portugal with it's Atlantic coast is welcoming with great beaches. This list is not exhaustive and is only my personal experience. Wherever you go I'm sure you will have a great time.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I notice you have not mentioned Sweden
Stockholm is one of the prettiest cities and stooped in history
Well worth a visit but do expect it to be pricy

One other thing to remember is it is still a holiday and nice as it is to see a lot of different cities and places each one requires distance travel and this can wipe out a lot of time. See Dave's post above about half a day allowance to get London to Paris - it will be the same for Paris to Niece, Niece to Rome, Rome to Venice etc - that's a good few days of sitting around airports or on trains!

For my money I'd decide on perhaps 3 or 4 centers / cities you particularily want to see and then spend a week around each of these areas (in a local rental car and satnav) Even with this you'll "waste" 2 or 3 days of the trip doing airport lounges.

Ian

First of all let me say that on behalf of Martha and myself THANK YOU all for the advice on destinations for our honeymoon. I am truly floored at all the help everyone has provided. Martha will be using this week to call several of the hotels and businesses to get further info. If you guys don't mind PLEASE keep providing ideas.

A couple more questions:

1) Our wedding date might change from September 25 to Oct 1 (venue related). Is this too late in the year for good weather? I'm hoping not since we've had a late start on summer here in the states.

2) Because of weather would it be better to start in Italy and go north then west to England or vise versa?

Again PLEASE keep the great info coming. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Rich.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
. Martha will be using this week to call several of the hotels and businesses to get further info..

I'll make a very specific recommendation about Positano:

Hotel Miramare (Positano, Italy) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

I didn't use tripadvisor at the time (2005) but it is no surprise to me that this place is #3 out o 39. It's not high-end; but is in a superb location and run by really delightful people.

Anyway this is the place I was swooning about in my first post.

The high-end luxo place in Positano is this:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...use_Hotel-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

It's much higher up the hill and a long descent/climb from "town" and the beach.

First of all let me say that on behalf of Martha and myself THANK YOU all for the advice on destinations for our honeymoon. I am truly floored at all the help everyone has provided. Martha will be using this week to call several of the hotels and businesses to get further info. If you guys don't mind PLEASE keep providing ideas.

A couple more questions:

1) Our wedding date might change from September 25 to Oct 1 (venue related). Is this too late in the year for good weather? I'm hoping not since we've had a late start on summer here in the states.

2) Because of weather would it be better to start in Italy and go north then west to England or vise versa?

Again PLEASE keep the great info coming. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Rich.

What timing .....October Fest 18 Sept - 3 OCT in Munich, Germany
Dates and General FAQs | Dates and General FAQs | About the Oktoberfest | Oktoberfest.de - The Oktoberfest Website

I can also suggest Scotland. It is the time of year for clear skies. The Isle of Skye is breath taking with its ancient beauty and its view of the end of the world from a 1000 foot cliff. Check out the album link

isle of skye - Google Search

You'll have a great time no matter where.
Grady

Just get on with your trip, Rich. You've got us all restless now, dreaming of a fantastic honeymoon in the UK and Europe. Ah, perhaps I could have a second honeymoon? I shall go plan something wild.

Back