Exhaust coating inside

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I opted for a polished stainless steel bundle of snakes from RCR. Since they are polished, I would like coat just the inside of the tubes to manage heat. Considering using Eastwood’s internal exhaust coating.

Also wondering if Cerakote or any other coating can be applied by simply pouring into the tubes and swirling it around.

Last alternative is to send the tubes to Jet Hot for internal coating only.

PaulProe

Supporter
Randy
I used ZyBar to coat my last set of Cobra headers, inside and out. These are links to the site:
The instructions outline the procedure for coating the insides. Very pleased with the product, however, it is not cheap. They also have a service that they will do the coating for you.

Paul

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy
I used ZyBar to coat my last set of Cobra headers, inside and out. These are links to the site:
The instructions outline the procedure for coating the insides. Very pleased with the product, however, it is not cheap. They also have a service that they will do the coating for you.

Paul
Paul, thx much for sharing your experience. Does it work as well as you hoped? I am concerned about not being able to media blast the inside of the tubes. Did you find a way to do that? Did you use the cotton ball or pour & swirl method for the insides?

I will probably test it on my Cobra’s headers before committing to the bundle of snakes. My Cobra’s headers have only been run on a dyno, so not much build up to clean and the pipes are relatively short.

Cheers, Randy

PaulProe

Supporter
Paul, thx much for sharing your experience. Does it work as well as you hoped? I am concerned about not being able to media blast the inside of the tubes. Did you find a way to do that? Did you use the cotton ball or pour & swirl method for the insides?

I will probably test it on my Cobra’s headers before committing to the bundle of snakes. My Cobra’s headers have only been run on a dyno, so not much build up to clean and the pipes are relatively short.

Cheers, Randy
Worked very well. I used the cotton ball method to put it in. I made an extension for a sandblaster to do the tubes. The longest one was 28" so I was able to get in from both ends. They make a tool that you can drag through to blast and I also see some comments about pulling a wire brush through to get the surface texture needed.

The hardest thing is having access to an oven that you can cook them for a couple hours at 500 degrees. I have access to a large powder coat oven so it wasn't a big deal.

Paul

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Worked very well. I used the cotton ball method to put it in. I made an extension for a sandblaster to do the tubes. The longest one was 28" so I was able to get in from both ends. They make a tool that you can drag through to blast and I also see some comments about pulling a wire brush through to get the surface texture needed.

The hardest thing is having access to an oven that you can cook them for a couple hours at 500 degrees. I have access to a large powder coat oven so it wasn't a big deal.

Paul
Thx again for the guidance. I might take mine to a local Powder Coater for prep. Even at $20 an oz, the Zybar will still cost than sending them to Jet Hot.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I've had great results in the past from Swain Tech thermal barrier coatings.
Bryan, thx for sharing your experience. I just googled Swain Tech and one of the top hits was Jet Hot’s FAQ acknowledging that Swain Tech is very good and claiming that their most expensive coating (2500 series) is comparable Swain Techs. That is a very good endorsement from a competitor Swain Tech prices are very competitive as well. Cheers, Randy

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Last I knew, Swain only did exhaust coatings in white. That was some time ago, but definitely worth inquiring about.

Regards Brian

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Last I knew, Swain only did exhaust coatings in white. That was some time ago, but definitely worth inquiring about.

Regards Brian
Brian, I checked and you are correct, but since I am only coating the inside of the tubes, color is not a concern. Cheers, Randy

Back