F1 2010

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Mark Webber (2nd)
“We know these days with the strategy and the way the races unfold that the first part of the race is crucial. I got a bit of wheel spin at the start and Seb got a tow into the first corner. I didn’t know where Nico was, so I braked late. Both Seb and I were on the limit to make the first corner. I had a little bit better exit coming out of Turn 2 and the fight continued into Turn 4. We had a chat to Christian (Horner) at the start of the race and he said ‘Boys, behave yourselves!’ and we did. The spirit and the chemistry in our team is awesome and we fight very hard. You saw that today - it was a good fight between Sebastian and I. It could have gone either way, but in the end he did the job at the crucial stage and deserved the victory. A one two finish for us as a team is sensational. The cars ran very well and it was a nice come back for us after a tough few races where we didn’t finish as we wanted to. I’d like to be one spot further up, but it’s a great result for the team. We executed a beautiful weekend, so well done to Red Bull and also to Renault, the engines were great today.”

Yeah right! What he really meant to say was, "that upstart german shiite went up the inside of me while I was defending against Nico. I suppose he thinks he's the next Shuey. And as for the prick on the wheel gun,if I could have caught him after the race he would have it jammed so far up his Khyber his teeth would rattle".:furious:

Keith

NOT A SPOILER

China :thumbsup:

Somebody's forecasters got it wrong big time - perhaps they would benefit from accurate forecasts in future....? dig dig :poke:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
Kieth is on the money.
Having started from P1 and P2 it was really difficult to see how RBR could have got things so badly wrong. I would like to point out I had no involvement at all with RBR for this race in Shanghai. I had a few emails after the race and one of them admits it was not their finest hour. If I was the boss, I think I would ask one or two of the so called execs to find their own way home and start looking at Sits Vac pages in their local papers and get out of motorsport for ever.
TOO BLOODY RIGHT.
It doesn't take a mastermind to figure that out.
I have had several other emails from other sources and one suggestion is they (RBR) should forget any ideas about a championship this year as they cannot close up the gap again and instead start work on the 2011 car now.
Sounds rock solid good advice to me.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Spoiler....

David now that I know you were not involved I will be as brave as Keith, someone at RBR really screwed up the tire choices and race strategy:furious:
I have also heard rumours from a very reliable source of conflict and power struggles within RBR management.

Keith

You are brave Keith.:stunned:

Not brave Pete - I may have had some "previous awareness" of the RBR situation, but I couldn't possibly comment... :laugh:

But I think what you say vis a vis infighting has some merit. There are some powerful forces at work in that team and not much of it seems to be positive. I wonder how long it will be before Mr Newey gets to tend his (neglected) garden again?

I also tend to agree with Dave that the unemployment statistic in the UK may well rise (or should do anyway) by a couple of points following that debacle.

It was a disaster of major proportions wasn't it? I feel sorry for Mark and Seb for having to tolerate such incompetance.

Still, a fascinating Grand Prix for all that - let's hope they make Barcelona - but it's looking decidedly shaky now...

Was it all down to the tire choices/pit stops?
Undoubtably, Button and Rosberg benefited from staying on slicks, but Hamilton and Alonso followed the same strategy as the RBRs but they finished OK.
So why did the RBR's not recover?

Last edited:

Keith

They may have gambled on dry set up whilst Button certainly opted for max downforce given their F-Duct advantage especially with that long straight in Shanghai. Webber has also alluded to problems with the handling of the RB in the wet.

You might also ask why MSC (the hitherto acknowledged "rainmeister")sailed inexorably backwards and it's not so much what the eventual winners did right it's what the rest got wrong. I guess that Mac and Merc made a lot less errors!

But for Championship contenders that clearly have the fastest car and two of the fastest drivers - RBR's result was disgraceful and heads should roll.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
"Spoiler" If you haven't watched your replay yet don't look below.

<TABLE class=wsw-tstable2 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4><TBODY><TR><TD class=wsw-tstitle colSpan=6>Chinese Grand Prix Results - 18 April 2010 - 56 Laps</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>POS</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>DRIVER</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>NATIONALITY</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>ENTRANT</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>LAPS</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>TIME/RETIRE</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>1.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Jenson Button</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Britain</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>McLaren-Mercedes</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>1h46m42.163</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>2.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Lewis Hamilton</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Britain</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>McLaren-Mercedes</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>1.530</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>3.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Nico Rosberg</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Germany</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Mercedes GP</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>9.484</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>4.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Fernando Alonso</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Spain</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Ferrari</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>11.869</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>5.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Robert Kubica</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Poland</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Renault</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>22.213</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>6.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Sebastian Vettel</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Germany</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Red Bull-Renault</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>33.310</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>7.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Vitaly Petrov</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Russia</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Renault</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>47.600</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>8.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Mark Webber</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Australia</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Red Bull-Renault</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>52.172</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>9.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Felipe Massa</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Brazil</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Ferrari</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>57.796</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>10.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Michael Schumacher</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Germany</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Mercedes GP</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>1m01.749</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>11.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Adrian Sutil</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Germany</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Force India-Mercedes</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>1m02.874</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>12.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Rubens Barrichello</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Brazil</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Williams-Cosworth</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>1m03.665</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>13.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Jaime Alguersuari</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Spain</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Toro Rosso-Ferrari</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>56</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>1m11.416</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>14.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Heikki Kovalainen</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Finland</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Lotus-Cosworth</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>55</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>1 Lap</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>15.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Nico Hulkenberg</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Germany</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Williams-Cosworth</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>55</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>1 Lap</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>16.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Bruno Senna</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Brazil</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>HRT-Cosworth</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>54</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>2 Laps</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>17.</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Karun Chandhok</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>India</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>HRT-Cosworth</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>52</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>4 Laps</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tstitle colSpan=6>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>R</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Jarno Trulli</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Italy</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Lotus-Cosworth</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>26</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>Hydraulics</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>R</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Lucas di Grassi</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Brazil</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Virgin-Cosworth</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>8</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>Clutch</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>R</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Pedro de la Rosa</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Spain</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>BMW Sauber-Ferrari</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>7</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>Engine</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>R</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Sebastien Buemi</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Switzerland</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Toro Rosso-Ferrari</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>0</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>Accident</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>R</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Kamui Kobayashi</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Japan</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>BMW Sauber-Ferrari</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>0</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>Accident</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>R</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Vitantonio Liuzzi</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Italy</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Force India-Mercedes</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>0</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>Accident</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos>R</TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Timo Glock</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Germany</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>Virgin-Cosworth</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>0</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>Engine</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tstitle colSpan=6>FASTEST LAP:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=wsw-tspos></TD><TD class=wsw-tsdrv>Lewis Hamilton</TD><TD class=wsw-tsnat>Britain</TD><TD class=wsw-tsent>McLaren-Mercedes</TD><TD class=wsw-tslaps>13</TD><TD class=wsw-tstim>1:42.061</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They may have gambled on dry set up whilst Button certainly opted for max downforce given their F-Duct advantage especially with that long straight in Shanghai. Webber has also alluded to problems with the handling of the RB in the wet.

You might also ask why MSC (the hitherto acknowledged "rainmeister")sailed inexorably backwards and it's not so much what the eventual winners did right it's what the rest got wrong. I guess that Mac and Merc made a lot less errors!

But for Championship contenders that clearly have the fastest car and two of the fastest drivers - RBR's result was disgraceful and heads should roll.

It does seem silly (and this is not just a failing of RBR here) to have failed to assess that the conditions could have gone either way.

In such conditions, it would seem sensible to take an each way bet. This clearly worked out for McLaren, although it apparnetly wasn't a decision made on the pit wall.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pirelli's has approved a feasibility study into returning to the F1 arena it left at the end of the 1991 season with 42 victories to its name.
FIA president Jean Todt said in Bahrain that there was more than one option available when it came to replacing Bridgestone, which is pulling out of F1 at the end of this season after being sole tyre supplier for four seasons.
Other companies to have tabled an interest include Michelin, which withdrew from F1 at the end of 2006 and did not tender for the sole supply deal, saying that it was only interested in F1 if there was competition. The French company has now signalled interest in a return but is understood to want better commercial terms than previously and a rule structure allowing it to demonstrate tyre efficiency.
Avon Cooper has also pitched for the F1 business, while Pirelli, which won the first GP of the modern world championship at Silverstone in May 1950, is evaluating a return for the first time since 1991, when it scored the last of its victories in Canada. Nelson Piquet famously took full advantage in his Benetton after Nigel Mansell lost his engine when the software was believed to have stopped the car on the final lap as Mansell let the revs drop while waving to the crowd!
Goodyear is the most successful F1 tyre company ever, with 368 wins; with Bridgestone on 125; Michelin, 102; Dunlop, 83; Firestone, 49; Pirelli, 42; Continental & Englebert 10.

Malcolm

Supporter
I always thought that Mansell stopped on that last lap because as he raised his arm, the pillock knocked the fuel pumps off!

Malcolm

Supporter
I have that on my iphone, or at least the freebie version. It is ok and gives you an idea of sector times and gaps between drivers, info not forthcoming from the TV coverage. Also it allows you to monitor battles down the order which are not mentioned on TV at all. All info is by numbers, no pictures. Don't know what you get if you pay for the full monty version though.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Fisichella tests Ferrari 'F-duct' at Vairano

<!-- ArticleBodyStart -->As the rest of Italy celebrated May Day on Saturday, Ferrari were busy carrying out straight-line aero testing at Vairano. The team debuted their version of McLaren’s ‘F-duct’ system, whereby the driver can stall the rear wing at high speed in order to cut drag and boost top speed.

Ferrari trialled a ‘passive’ blown rear wing at the recent Chinese Grand Prix, but Saturday’s test, with Giancarlo Fisichella at the wheel, saw it coupled with a management system for the first time.

The F10 was also fitted with the aero configuration Ferrari plan to use during next Friday's practice sessions for the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona. Changes include a new position for the rear view mirrors, which must now be located on the chassis.

Track data from Fisichella’s running will be analysed by Ferrari over the next few days and once Friday’s sessions are complete, a decision will be taken on which updates the Italian team will use for qualifying and the race at the Circuit de Catalunya.

Ferrari’s Vairano test was part of the four days of aerodynamic testing allowed in the testing agreement, as defined by the 12 Formula One teams.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Rumours have intensified this week that Mika Hakkinen could soon become Lewis Hamilton's manager.

In the wake of his professional split with his father Anthony, Hamilton has been perusing offers from potential managers. 1998 and 1999 world champion Hakkinen already works with a young F3 driver at his own manager Didier Coton's Monaco-based Aces Group, and said last Sunday: "Perhaps I will come back to F1 as a manager."

The Italian sports daily Tuttosport now reports that a deal between Aces/Hakkinen and Hamilton could be made in the very near future. Hamilton's career is currently handled by McLaren, but team boss Martin Whitmarsh is pushing his driver to appoint a "dispassionate, independent" manager.

Hakkinen won his two world championships with McLaren and retired in 2001.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ferrari Bar code questioned.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article7111124.ece

Leading doctors are demanding an immediate government inquiry into “subliminal” tobacco advertising on Ferrari’s Formula One cars, and the company’s $1 billion relationship with the maker of Marlboro cigarettes, The Times has learnt.

The red, white and black bar code emblazoned on Ferrari’s racing cars and its drivers’ overalls is designed to remind viewers of a packet of Marlboro cigarettes, it is claimed. Under EU legislation it is an offence for a tobacco company to sponsor sporting events.

Yesterday a spokesman for the European Public Health Commissioner said he thought that Marlboro’s approach constituted potential subliminal marketing. He urged the Spanish and British governments to ascertain whether the world’s second-biggest tobacco company might be in breach of the law.

Formula One teams are due to fly into Spain for the European leg of the season which begins in 5 days’ time. The British Grand Prix is on July 11.

Don Elgie, chief executive of Creston, which owns the advertising agency DLKW, said he thought that the bar code was subliminal advertising — where a brand is so recognisable that consumers can be reminded of a product without actually seeing it.

John Britton, a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and director of its tobacco advisory group, said: “The bar code looks like the bottom half of a packet of Marlboro cigarettes. I was stunned when I saw it. This is pushing at the limits. If you look at how the bar code has evolved over the last four years, it looks like creeping branding.”

Gerard Hastings, director of the Centre for Tobacco Control Research, said: “I think this is advertising. Why a bar code? What is their explanation?”

Frank Dobson, who was Health Secretary between 1997 and 1999, also called for an inquiry. Mr Dobson, now a backbench Labour MP, said: “The tobacco firms were working out years ago how they could advertise if there was a ban on tobacco advertising.”

Spokesmen for Sir Liam Donaldson, the Chief Medical Officer, and the Department of Health refused to comment. A spokesperson for the BBC, which has a contract to broadcast Formula One, said: “We are confident that Formula One, and as a result our coverage of Formula One, is fully compliant with regulations.”

In September 2005 Philip Morris, the maker of Marlboro, extended its financial backing for the Ferrari team until 2011, despite the ban on cigarette branding on cars racing in the European Union. The contract is understood to be worth $1 billion over ten years and Philip Morris said Ferraris would not carry Marlboro branding where there was a ban.

A spokesman for the Italian car maker said: “The bar code is part of the livery of the car, it is not part of a subliminal advertising campaign.”

Asked about the Philip Morris contract he said: “$100 million [a year] is not a correct figure. We do not disclose the figure — the figure you mention, it is lower.”

Ferrari is the only Formula One team with a tobacco brand in its formal title, Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro. Its logo also has the bar code and its drivers, Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa, wear overalls bearing the bar code next to the Ferrari logo on each arm.

Philip Morris said: “We are confident that our relationship with Ferrari does not violate the UK 2002 Tobacco Advertising and Promotion Act. The Formula One Grand Prix in the UK does not involve any race cars, team apparel, equipment or track signage carrying tobacco product branding. The same is true for all other Formula One races across the world.”

Last edited:
Back