F1 2010

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Quick scan seems to indicate Chris E in the lead....

I'm not going to give results this soon after the race in case some are still waiting to view a recorded version...

If I were a Steward I would want to inspect Webbers car to see if he has some sort of device that allows him to spray oil into the exhaust! It was effective.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Quick scan seems to indicate Chris E in the lead....

I'm not going to give results this soon after the race in case some are still waiting to view a recorded version...

If I were a Steward I would want to inspect Webbers car to see if he has some sort of device that allows him to spray oil into the exhaust! It was effective.

Thanks Pat, I'll be watching it tonight, I fell asleep about lap ten. The smoke was curious, I thought his race was over right there.

So 2/3 of the race will be spent watching the drivers cruising round the track trying to avoid the wake/turbulance of the car in front and preserve their tyres. So much for spectacle and excitment!

Can't complain. I got a good 45 minute's shuteye in the middle of the race.
How they imagine deleting fuel stops will make the racing more interesting, when 90% of the race is spent lugging 220 litres of fuel around the circuit, then pussyfooting the rest of the way to save the tyres, I can't imagine.
Why not reduce the race to 20 laps, with fuel to suit? Then we could all go and do something more rewarding.

I typically get up (3:30 to 4:30am) to watch these races live on the west coast. I taped it, and watched it mid-afternoon. Glad I did....the show certainly wasn't worth losing any sleep over. If this is what we can expect, I'm going to be getting a lot more done in my garrage this season.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, I think the FIA have shot themselves in the foot. It seems only those who qualify on the front two rows will have a hope barring technical malfunctions. Melbourne may be a bit different but I think not. A pity.

My solution would be to ban all aero devices except for front and rear wings and allow as many tire changes and fuel stops as the team strategy
requires.
Any other idea's?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I was in the shop welding and watching (I found out this weekend that the U-Verse picture freezes every time I use the high frequency A/C tig welder), and suddenly realized this "exciting" race was over...and I didn't care.

BTW, what happened to all the "4 lap tires" that I kept seeing during practice. Did they all of a sudden become 25 lap tires during the race?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Planet F1's thoughts on Bahrain.

It's still early days, but it looks as if F1 has turned into a procession of neurotic old women...

*Change Is Not Always Better
So much for the hope that a ban on refuelling would rekindle F1's flame. Even Michael Schumacher, even the man making his return after three years of pining, admitted he found it boring. Millions of viewers, many of whom who would have only tuned in to watch his return, will have already turned off long before his verdict was broadcast. Perhaps that's just as well given that his damning commentary finished with the prediction, "That's the action we are going to have unfortunately with this kind of environment of race strategy."

In other words, as the rules and new regulations are to blame, don't expect a change of formula when the circus moves on to its next arena.

Tempting though it is to reserve that sort of judgement until the results are in from Australia or even Malaysia, F1 cannot bury its head in the desert sand before it leaves Bahrain. Something already looks fundamentally, crippling wrong with the new regulations. Wait and see? The danger of that policy is that many people will already have decided not to wait or see, and a further exodus will follow if a soporific re-run is repeated in Albert Park.

Though the lack of overtaking will be bemoaned, there were actually a few moves of note and Bahrain's TV director did his product no favours. It looked worse than it truly was. But of greatest alarm ought to have been the suffering of Fernando Alonso's Ferrari in the dirty air churned out by Seb Vettel's Red Bull and the confession of Jenson Button, the World Champion no less, that he was focused on protecting his tyres rather than producing pace. The pinnacle of motor racing? Not if the tortoise is ahead of the hare.

Button's confession included the admission he was overcautious but there is little - if any - incentive to chase at full pelt when overtaking is bordering on impossible. Bahrain's new twisty middle sector was a further barrier to passing because it only succeeds in stretching out the field but even when the faster Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button caught Vettel, Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher respectively they were unable to even produce an overtaking attempt due to the dirty air spewing on to their front wings.

Next year's ban on Double Diffusers will help the overtaking cause but next year is twelve months too late. Nor will it provide a comprehensive solution. So what can be done? The suggestion of McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh, hardly a renowned reactionary, on Sunday night was for two pit-stops, rather than one, to become mandatory so that drivers have good reason to push on every stint. Sensible heads will no doubt ask for a second or third viewing before considering fresh change. But if a repeat is served up, F1 needs to be in a rush to prevent itself suffering long-term damage as a procession of neurotic Sunday afternoon go-slowers.

*The F10 Is The Car To Drive
Better to be in a fast and reliable car than a slightly-faster but unreliable motor. In clean air and on the prime tyres, it may also be the case that Ferrari are untouchable. And better, surely, to be fastest on Sunday rather than Saturday.

Given the size of Red Bull's qualifying advantage, the apparent ease with which Vettel was able to pull clear of the Ferraris on soft tyres, and the fact that Mark Webber was waylaid by technical gremlins on Friday, it would be no surprise if the pattern of Bahrain is repeated throughout the season: Red Bull quickest off the mark, only to be caught by Ferrari or caught out by their own unreliability. You know what people say, Adrian Newey's cars are fast but...

It's entirely hypothetical at this stage but the response of Red Bull to the idea of a second mandatory pit-stop - which only can be introduced with the full approval of the teams - is already worth a quick ponder because if that rule was in place in Bahrain then Alonso would surely have jumped Vettel then and there. Caught between protecting their own interests and that of the greater good, quite the dilemma might await Red Bull.

*McLaren Can Stop Panicking
It looked grim for Macca on Saturday night but Sunday afternoon brought relief in the form of Lewis Hamilton's competitive race-pace. They're behind but not adrift.

Those of a cynical mind will have noted that, having suffered this weekend in qualifying, McLaren are leading the calls for a compulsory second stop - an introduction which would be of greatest benefit to the cars that are quicker in race trim. But their qualifying woes could have just been a matter of circumstance, the broiling heat or a poor set-up.

Moreover, they are suffering from a general lack of downforce and are once again relying on engine superiority and a clever gizmo to disguise their now-traditional aerodynamic weakness. This time last year, McLaren would have been at the very back of the field but for their success with the KERS system and Hamilton was only faster than Mercedes in Bahrain because of the extra mph created by the team's ingenious air flow assembly. The difference in speed between Rosberg and Hamilton along the straights was staggering given that their cars were powered by identical units.

*Bridgestone Are Doing Too Good A Job (Especially If Your Name Is Jenson Button)
Even without a mandatory second pit-stop, the show would still be a spectacle if the extra weight of the cars weakened the performance of Bridgestone's rubber. The problem in Bahrain, as noted by Martin Whitmarsh, was that "There was no real serious degradation of the tyres".

Tyre management was easy rather than a skill, and that's particularly bad news for Jenson Button because his skill at nursing his tyres was predicted to give him a critical edge over Lewis Hamilton (among others). Unless Bridgestone start blistering, that advantage will be factored out of the equation to his considerable disadvantage.

*But Could Bahrain Be So Bad To Make Australia Good
But before we go too far with the pessimism, here's an optimistic scenario for Australia:

Drivers, realising that overtaking is close to impossible in normal racing conditions, identify the first lap as the only opportunity to get past the cars in front, and throw caution to the wind.

If they do, then the risk is that the tight confines of Albert Park are fertile ground for Safety Car deployment. And if and when the Safety Car is deployed, some drivers are bound to take the gamble of pitting early for a 'free' stop in the hope that their tyres will last the rest of the race (which they would have in Bahrain). Cue mass upheaval and, just possibly, plenty of on-track drama.

Well, here's hoping.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
And Mark Webber agrees.

Formula One is in for one of its most boring seasons on record unless rules are modified, according to Australian Mark Webber.
Webber, who finished eighth for Red Bull behind winner Fernando Alonso in a Ferrari at the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix at the weekend, has joined the outcry over the dreary spectacle.
With a ban on refueling this season and pitstops limited to one a race, drivers reacted by producing an unbroken procession for fear of ruining tyres by pushing too hard or attempting to overtake.
Webber said the new rules drained the race of any potential excitement - and next week's Australian GP could end up being just as dull.
"It got pretty boring," Webber said.
"I spent 48 laps staring at a the gearboxes of first (Michael) Schumacher and then (Jenson) Button and there was nothing I could do to pass them.
"I tried everything - different lines, pressure, everything. But they're both good drivers and neither of them made a mistake."
Webber said he was stunned at how hard it had become to overtake after becoming stuck behind world champion Jenson Button following a pit stop with a tyre problem.
The visit cost him four seconds and dropped him back behind Button, to eighth, where he stayed for the remainder of the race.
"I was quicker than him but I was unable to find a way through," Webber said.
"He didn't make a mistake and if I'd tried to force the issue it would have ended in a crash.
"I was pretty shocked by how hard it was to overtake and it doesn't bode well for any of the one-stop races on the calendar, when everyone is going to be following pretty much the same strategy.
"We can only hope that other circuits will lend themselves to overtaking more than Sakhir."
Webber expressed frustration with the continual rule-tinkering in Formula One.
"Wow! New rules, not sure huh?" he asked on Twitter. "Why do they keep dicking with it? Followed Mercedes power for the whole race, no chance to overtake - again."
Nevertheless, Webber is confident that Red Bull will be competitive in Melbourne next week.
"The RB6 was competitive in Bahrain which proves what a phenomenal job the guys in Milton Keynes have done over the winter," he said.
"We've now got to put the icing on the cake by getting the results that the car deserves on a Sunday afternoon.
"We've done it in the past and I'm absolutely sure that well do it again."

Personally, I've found the last few posts very interesting, and I agree with them all, but I thought we had established last week that it wasn't the done thing to disagree with the rules!

There I was sat in my favorite comfy chair, waiting for the big show to start. On paper, it looked to be potentially one of the most explosive seasons for some years. Aaaannnnddddd........

What a boredomfest. Bahrain does itself no favors, but this probably accounts for 15% of why it was sooooooooo boring. I LOVE F1, and have since i could still see my willy (some years ago :) ). I really don't understand the one pit stop ruling at all. These are all intelligent people running very expensive outfits. Let them decide a race strategy that suits them.

And for all the remonstrating from teams, when oh when will the powers that be FINALLY properly increase mechanical grip and massively reduce aerodynamic grip so that we can actually see some racing again????

I watched it all, but i have to admit that I used a couple of matches to keep my eyes open on a few occasions...

Graham.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Furthermore, I thought the track was a piece of shit.

How can they add a new section and have it be bumpy?

It was impossible for me to determine where a car was on the track as each corner looked the same as any other (to a tv viewer) let alone the fact that I had a hard time identifying the cars! I guess I will get used to them but I couldn't tell a Mercedes from a fucking Williams!

Oh well, Bristol this week end in NASCAR and I will be entertained again.

Keith

Furthermore, I thought the track was a piece of shit.

How can they add a new section and have it be bumpy?

It was impossible for me to determine where a car was on the track as each corner looked the same as any other (to a tv viewer) let alone the fact that I had a hard time identifying the cars! I guess I will get used to them but I couldn't tell a Mercedes from a fucking Williams!

Oh well, Bristol this week end in NASCAR and I will be entertained again.

You know, I just wish you would come down off the fence Pat :quirk:

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
LOL!

It just seems to me that "they" have been dicking around with this series for too many years. Despite "their" worst efforts the fans still come - to watch those overpriced cars being driven (not raced) by overpriced drivers - all because of dumbassed rules that result in cars that are incapable of passing.

Solution?

Limit braking - specify cast iron rotors, maximum brake pad size specified, whatever!

Aero - flat bottom, no venturi's, diffusers, or anything sticking out from the body. Give them front and rear wings that are standardized (maybe even made by a single manufacturer)

Point system - give them passing points, fastest lap points, most laps led points, qualifying points, whatever....

Back