From the suburbs of Lone Oak Texas (pop 521)

Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself to the forum: I'm a "gray-pelt" Radiologist, practicing in Greenville, Texas. I've had a multitude of cars/trucks/SUV's and boats, such notables as a 65 fuelie vette coupe that I would occasionally track, a 01 Viper GTS/ACR set up for track. I now drive a "civilized" Porsche Cayman S with the Softronics Race Plenum and software as my DD, unless bad weather - then the 08 Tundra 4x4! My wife Evelyn runs the ranch and trains miniature horses for driving competitions (even she likes to drive through the cones!).

We also own a Mexican Corporation, Delantera Sportfishing, in Cab San Lucas and we are now reworking our website to include other private sportfishing boats for charter.

My interest is in the SL-C. I just sold off a batch of car parts/cars to clear out my little shop to make room for my project. I'm doing the usual, "what if I want a different power plant/gearbox" dance before I pull the trigger. I know "the enemy of good is better", but it would be interesting
to see if a V10 or V12 could work! I'll try not to be too anoying.......

Doc Kaler, aka CANTDRIVE55 (Sammy Hagar tune!)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome aboard Doc!

The Missus and I moved up here from Grand Prairie TX about 16 years ago.. Coming back your way in the next couple of years.. Can't handle the winters here anymore..

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Doc, the early BMW V12's are good candidates, and I think Fran @ RCR may already have an adaptor made for mating to the Porsche G50.

These motors can be picked up for cheap (< $1000) on eBay, but then the fun starts. It's easy to get crazy and drop $20K or $30K into one.

They're all aluminum, so not much heavier than a SBC/SBF, and their bore centers are so close they're not much longer than a big block V8. Good bit taller than the V8's, however because of their 60 degree V. They're a better candidate for Webers or ITB's than other more contemporary DOHC V12's, because they're a SOHC configuration, and the heads are quite a bit narrower. There's just not much room in a DOHC 60 degree Vee for carbs or ITB's, unless you do a cross ram setp. One of the reasons Ferrari went to a 65 degree angle for their V12's so many years ago.

If you get serious about building one of these, PM me and I'll put you in touch with one of the primo engine builders. (I currently own 3 of these puppies, and one of these days I hope to get one running motor out of the 3)

Welcome Doc. How much horsepower are you looking for?You might want to transplant the whole BMW system,F.I.,module and all.Also,if you're just looking for something different and not dead set on the v12,the Bimmer V8 from the 740/745 is not that much smaller 4.0/4.4,very available, and is a strong motor but not an 'exotic'.

hi Al,

Thanks for the kind welcome. As I stated, I'm bouncing around powerplant considerations, probably making it much more difficult and costly as a result. BUT, I think I'd like a WT:HP ratio of about 5:1 or less, having raced my Viper with a 5.0:1 ratio without incidents (never "snake-bitten"), no traction control, etc. I confess ignorance re: the BMW V12 and it's ability to be modified to the target. I've seen the threads with the V12 60-degree Ferrari in the P4 and if I could fit a 550 or 575 65-degree at a price or perhaps a 360 V8, that might be interesting. The Merc AMG's or Aston bigblocks are interesting as well.

So, I guess this time I would be after something a little more unique/exotic with the right Oooomph. I know that the Ls7 is a fine engine and certainly capable of my target with less expense/effort as well. The Viper V10 is just a little too long....

Thanks again for the welcomes!!

Doc Kaler, aka CANTDRIVE55

Back