Front Canard Wings

Those are great, Fran! That is the type of detail stuff that really sets you apart.

Lumpy is sending your oil cans, I talked to him today. He had to order them in first.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fran's got an excellent start on what I was planning and will probably buy Fran's parts and modify.

Here's what I had in mind (borrowing Fran's picture):

GT40-Winglet.jpg

have a look at the ones on the work bench...they are already shaped like that.......two styles ...look closely

Attachments

• canards 006 (Small).jpg
    canards 006 (Small).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 995
  • canards 005 (Small).jpg
    canards 005 (Small).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 951

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fran - You're right - I did not look close enough at your semi-finished materials on the bench. The contour I have I think is a little different but accomplishes basically the same thing..

I've also been thinking about actually continuing the winglets to an air-dam that goes all the way across the "chin" of the car for trackdays / competition.
I know my Cobra is totally worthless in the handling department over about 135 without the air-dam. Never having driven a GT40, I'm not qualified to speak to the aero issues the car may have but the advent of the Mirage and some of the things they added to it such as the winglets / canards speak to someone's concern.

Thoughts?

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Fran

Your canards look a very good interpreatation of what I have seen elsewhere. Can you confirm that I am right in thinking that the thickness of the ali plate (more than 1/16 inch by the look of it) is increased to prevent flex etc as the plane of the canard is flat instead of curved and has no end plate, for a want of a better word?

Anyone got an opinion on the speed you need to be doing before canards actually give downforce?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm said:
Anyone got an opinion on the speed you need to be doing before canards actually give downforce?

I believe that they will start adding both downforce and drag almost immediately but that it would take speeds higher than 80mph before they would make a noticeable difference.

Not that the body styles are even remotely comparable - I can tell you that the front air-dam on my Cobra made a measureable difference above 80mph. It also knocked off 5-7mph off the terminal velocity of the car.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Both lift and drag vary with Speed squared (V²). Incidence (angle?) of the canard is a key factor on how much down force it will effect.
Is it a case of "Monkey see - Monkey do" because IMHO there are so many variables to take into account such as integrity of mounting, ride heights, dampers, springs and so on - is it worth it .

Aerodynamic Drag

Chris Kouba

Supporter
gt40fran said:
where am I going to put the kitchen sink now.???

Fran,

I would caution you about asking such an open-ended question with this type of audience. You may not like the answers people give you!! :lol:

Had to get that in.... Back to the garage.

Ciao!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Guys,

I know that this discussion arose from a Superformance purchaser looking for something that wasn't provided by Superformance at the time, but I would respectfully suggest that it has developed far beyond that.

I think it would be appropriate to continue the discussion in the RCR forum and not here.

Lynn

Fran:

Do you know yet whether your smaller profile canards will fit the SPF Mk I? If so, what price are you asking for a pair and what is the delivery time?

Thanks!

Kim

Kim,
we have a few sets on the shelf....

I cannot say that the RCR profile will be exactly correct for your SPF but if you want to provide me with a template profile , we can certainly make you some in short order..feel free to call me at the shop anytime....

Regards

Back