front plate?

A 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner rear licence plate bracket is spring hinged to allow access to the gas filler benind the plate.

Not sure how readily avaiable the old Roadrunner brackets are, but I am sure other manufacturers have similar ones available that would work as well.
:pepper:

My mother drove a 1968 GTO and I remember that car had the hinged license plate over the gas cap. I think a lot of GM cars of that era did.

Charlie M

Supporter
For several years in MA, the State issued only one license plate as a cost-cutting measure. I still have one of these on my daily driver. When it's time to register the GT40 I'll transfer that registration rather than apply for new plates. The only down side is I've had that plate for over 20 years and it kind of looks like crap.

A lot of the Cobra guys around here only use one plate. I haven't heard of many people getting hassled for it. Some keep the second plate behind the seat and claim that it "fell off and the new bracket is on order" if they do get pulled over for it.

Charlie

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
My front plate is mounted in front of the radiator (See Pic) I considered hinging it, but after having driven in bumper to bumper traffic for over an hour in 40 degree heat,(104F). With no overheating problem I decided it was O.K.

Attachments

• DSCN0104.jpg
    DSCN0104.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 390

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Saw a nice trick to get around this on a Hot Rod, Front plate was mounted on a swing away type hinge & operated by a pop up headlight mechanism. when driving / running the plate was out of sight & not blocking airflow etc-when stopped it was in clear view. Owner had been pulled over several times by the law for not having a front plate, but by the time the cop got out of his car the plate was in view- no ticket!!

Jac Mac

Jac, in the early eighties a custom built a slant nose 911. Laid up the fenders, nose etc. This was before any of the commercial kits. The front plate was mounted by way of two wire ties. The ties were loose and the plate "swung" in the wind and would after spirited driving, occassionally wedge itself up out of sight between the bumper and the chassis. I was pulled over one time for having no plate. Officer never wrote the ticket as I walked to the front and showed him the plate. I do like the idea of the retractable plate.

Back