Fuel Pump Eccentric - How to secure?

Most cam manufacturers will supply two different dowels dependant on application (short and long), also once again the early and late cam gears are different, also as you probably know there are three different timing covers. All this is concerning the one piece eccentric. Ive assembled quite a few 65-67 Mustangs with the 289, early 302's are the same.

There is always a bright spark

Ron, I hope the more mundane task's such as mounting the coil go more smoothly.

capaci, you have blown your cover now mate, I always reckoned chebbie lover's were blind. Thats an original equipment cam thrust plate behind that sprocket, somethin that you chebbie fans have to buy as an extra, just as well they had terrible brakes or they would need a new chain at every set of lights.

Jac Mac

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep, that is the old style I just picked up off Ebay. Everything else on the motor is fine and ready to go, thus far.

I'd owned Fords with mechanical pumps, but they came that way. The two I've pulled apart and rebuilt myself (just bearings, new pistons, etc.) were for late models and had no need of this at all. I've always found the variety of Ford front covers, pumps, lengths, pullies, and even timing pointers flat out crazy. I've heard GM V8s are no better in this respect, but I must say their setup with the pump not coming through the timing cover seems better.

Ron

Chebie blinded LOL

GM, Ford, Chysler

they all have issues. Hemi ???

Yep The mechanical pump will just not be so hot at high RPM,,, you can go for it. At 7K it will not last long I reckon,,plus it is a mechanical load on the engine that is not needed given you are running a electrical power source and need a battery anyhow. I have to think with a your carb you maybe better off with the electric system with dual pumps(with a/b switch) and a fuel pressure regulator/ gauge, but simple is good if you like the mechanical pump,, at least get a high flow high pressure pump.

The BMW 5/6/7 as well as a few other bosch equipment series have a nice external electrical pump, can be had at the bone yard no issue. However you need a return to tank with regulator for a constant fuel pressure with variable demand. just grab the FPR also.

best

Ron Earp

Admin
capaci said:
Yep The mechanical pump will just not be so hot at high RPM,,, you can go for it. At 7K it will not last long I reckon,,p

I think it'll be fine. It is a mechanical race pump that is used in lots of roundy round racing now and certainly did the job back in the day. Now one of those off the counter from PeP Boys etc......I imagine it'd not do the job.

Chris, a friend of mine is looking for an alternative Ford SB front cover that is a timing cover only, and very small. The water pump gets relocated off to the side and driven by belt (he's doing an all aluminum Ford SB in a Porsche). Seems there was a cast one produced, not by Ford, but out there in racing circles I saw years ago. Know anything about these?

Ron

Ron some of the boat guys used to make Timing Covers that had simple hose fittings on each side for application of raw cooling, no pump.

Jac Mac

Back