G-50 (03/04/05 & /52)

If someone is about to shorten his G50 (5 speed) nose cone I have one already shortened that I will trade with an unmodified at no charge (direct trade).Nose cone has shortened professionaly in a milling machine and has a brass shrink fit ring to secure the shift rod seal nicely.It is from a 1993 G50/03.I will post pics hopefully tomorrow.

Thank you,
Jim

As promised some pics.And a correction : the shrink fit seal adapter is T6 alloy.Also if someone has an unmodified nose cone for outright sale I might be interested too.

Attachments

• DSC00159.jpg
    DSC00159.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC00160.jpg
    DSC00160.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 449

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Why do you need to shorten?

Red - according to his statistics, Jim's not been online since he posted that message back in 2008.

I can answer your question though and direct you to my website (below) for more information in regard to the shortening and reasons.

Basically if you don't shorten it, the transaxle will not work in a MK1 GT40 without hanging out the rear bodywork.

Hi Jim

Still alive ha ?

Remember me ?

I´m the guy who bought ( at least i thought so) a G50/50 from you almost 2 years ago. Paid it in advance and never got it delivered nor my money back.
We agreed on a deal, that instead of that very G50/50 you send me a good G 50/03 and a good type 915 gearbox.
You sent me a supposedly overhauled G50/03 in "very good condition".
When i openened the box i found a Gearbox which was shortened on the bellhousing by 1" and had a cracked and rewelded endcone, judged from the play in the diff it was not overhauled at all. What should i do with this crap, can not use it on my car, nor would i sell it to anyone, because of the unknown internals.
Although you promised several times, the 915 never arrived here. I tried to contact you uncounted times but no answers until i gave up.
I would be happy to tell everyone here on the forum, that Jim is a good guy and you could buy from him without any problems.
But that would be lied right away.

Hope that noone else on this forum did buy or is buying anything from you !!

You still owe me a good G50/50 or 3000 EURO !
Thanks
TOM

to admins, this chap should be banned from the forum !

Last edited:
Hmm this seems like your way to do business ?
If you have an issue with someone who bought something you have to contact him first and to try to solve the issue.
You judge that the transmission is not overhauled but the diff play ?
Post the numbers you get please here.As for the nose cone post a picture please too.I can swap the nose cone for another completely unmodifed.Ask the community to tell you how much a shortened bellhousing G50/03 goes for please.I am also curious to know the prices.And if you don't like it at all maybe I can arrange to sell it direct from you.

Jim

Last edited:
Dear Jim

No, that´s the way you do business

I did contact you per email uncounted times and tried to solve the issue ( should i post the over 30 emails here ?)

Just for example see attached my email to you on 4.08.2009 regarding the delivered gearbox.
"""""
4,Αύγουστος2009, 23:59

HI JIm

opened the box tonight and to say the least i/m dissapointed. You promised
me a very good G50 03 and what do i get ? I can not judge the internals of the box. I see that you mounted new screws and it also looks like you have had the trans open.
What have you don on it ( have you changed any parts)? This could be all well and ok, i have to trust you on this one, but this CRAPPY end cap is absolutely unacceptable. In our cars ( midengine) this gearboxes have a prominent visual role in the engine compartment ( they are clearly visible and not hided like on 911/s. A customer of mine
would
never accept this welded , sandblasted endcap and so do i.
I expect you to send me good original surface and undamaged endcap. If
possible if would preferre a endcap of the short G50 ( i would shorten the
shift rod then by myself) . So please send out an additional endcap with the
second box ( or if this one is already on the way by post)
I realy would preferre if you would give me your phone number, I very much
appreciated the personal talks we had in the beginning and would prefer it
versus this email communication

TOM
"""""""

Here are the pics of the welded endcap:
PICT4296.jpg

looks nice does it ? Did not clean or change anything, stored it dry, that´s just the way it arrived.

I never requested a shortened gearbox, so why did you send one ? For our cars they are realy of no use because they would locate the engine further to the rear bythe shortened dimension, despite this there is the need going to all the hassle finding a clutch and starter to fit. If you can sell it i would be happy to support you doing it.
Feel free to perceive this gearbox as yours, just located at my place.

But than you still owe me my money or a good G 50/50, overhauled with lsd.
Here are the pics of the gearbox i bought once and never received.
G50/50. 34000km LSD overhauled with warranty
I bought it from you via ebay on christmas eve 2008
I won the bid at 1000 EURO.
Total amount was that plus 1000 EURO core charge and 400 EURO Transport fee.
You probably expected more than that for that gearbox, but that´s ebay and everyone selling there should be aware.
Transferred that 2400 EURO on 28.12.2008.
You failed to send me that gearbox for over 6 month.
Emails where exchanged forth and back and we finaly agreed to a deal to send me a good G50/03 and one G50 in parts. You sent me the bespoke above G50/03 with the shortened bellhousing but never the one in parts. Due to that we had another email traffic going along with the result that instead of the G50 parts you send me a 915 and finally a VW Kübel gearbox. Non of this ever arrived here at my place.
Correct so far ?

4fd5_1.jpg

54e6_1.jpg

5bbc_1.jpg

So now lets see how you do business ( hopefully different from the way you did the last 2 years)

I´m open to your offers

Thanks

TOM

Last edited:
Tom,

I will try to sell this gearbox and you get refunded.
You are correct in the most that your wrote.
If you don't mind I would like some pictures from all the sides of the gearbox.

Jim

JIm

fine with me as long we do it this way:

You refund me now and then try to sell this gearbox.

Pics and my bankaccountinfo will be send soon to your emailadress

Thanks
TOM

Basically if you don't shorten it, the transaxle will not work in a MK1 GT40 without hanging out the rear bodywork.[/QUOTE]

I am in the process of building a Mk1. I have a G50 box for use with a 302. However, it is not a short tail box; will this work acceptably? Anyone using the long version? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN1685.jpg
    DSCN1685.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 251
Will work just fine if your engine is mounted forward enough and you are shortening the endcap, Check out my build log "TOMS TRACKRACER" there is a section inside with how i did it.

TOM

Tom, Thanks went there last night and checked it out. I take it you did shorten the rod shift shaft, and simply cut off the rear donut and tidy up the case? That looks cool, is the elimination of the donut mount a problem for the weight of the transmission (stress on the front of the case), or do you support the case elsewhere? Was it a simple task to shorten the shift rod - no seals or anything to deal with? Thanks,

Last edited:
Back