G50 Diff Swap/Inspection

I finally got around to swapping my g50 standard diff for a Quaife. I had planed to have a look inside the box at the same time just to see what condition the gears are in.

I removed the rear cover Ok. I removed the two special nuts on the end of each shaft Ok. The nuts have a locking flange on them a small part of which that can be pressed into a small dimple/key way in the shaft. So far so good. I was then able to remove some of the gears and rings along with the one fork that is in this part of the box and then nothing else on the shafts could be budged. I think its reasonable to expect having removed the retaining nut off the end of the shafts the gears could then be slid off. Not so, nothing here can be moved. I only want to get this mid section cover off and have a look, if there is no obvious damage put everything back. Nothing bad has happened. I just came to an abrupt halt. Am I missing something? Do the gears need to be pulled off? If they do there are not many gaps to get the puller fingers behind. Any help out there. Thanks.

Attachments

• P1000237.jpg
    P1000237.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 260
  • P1000236.jpg
    P1000236.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 203
Fred yes you do need a puller to go any further I completely dismantled my G50 by making up pullers for each gear as i went but I would not recommend going any further unless you have very good reason to do so.

Darrell DRB #46
G50 LS1

Back