G50 length???

I am curious as to how much more i need to go to shorten my 6 spd. Can anyone tell me what the length of their 5spd g50 is when installed, measuring from the engine block, including the thickness of the adapter plate, to the furthest back point on the tranny. Or better yet, from the rear bulkhead to the rear of the tranny. I assume that will be the shift rod. Thanks in advance.

Eric,

If you are thinking about a Porsche 6spd, Roger Brown of

Powerhaus II, told me that the 6spd is 1 1/2" longer. It

wouldn't fit in my car with the rear clip closed(rear

clip support fouled), let alone opened(rear clip

fouled). I will measure from the adapter plate back, and

post the results later today.

Bill

I have the 6 spd. I have eliminated the adapter plate so gain i guess 1/2" plus cut the doughnut off the back and the motor is very forward to the point where i need DIS. I think i can make the shifter exit the side of the box too, and that will gain a bit more. Dont want to do the shifter if i dont have to though, tough enough to cut the seal housing for it and weld it back on straight. Thank you for checking

I have an inquiry to Renegade Hybrids about this very problem. They are or eill be working on a shifter mechanism for this unit as there are a lot of these units out there in Porschedom. Will post their response as soon as I hear from them.
The DIS system like the one from Electromotive will alow you to virtually tuck your engine under your armpit. It is the one I plan on using, as I plan to move my engine forward. I know Rick Merz uses this system and loves it. I believe his only complaint was that the engine backfires a bit on deceleration because of the wasted spark on the exhaust stroke (read the product brochures, four coils,eight cyls.)
the guys at Renegade told me originally that there were problems with the starter on the 6 speed. Will keep you posted.
Bill

Eric,

You might get another 3/4", maybe more,
if you shortened the shifter rod on the gearbox.
Mine has 1" of play there.
Another possible source of extra room!

Bill

Starter is a non-issue, i am using a ford bellhousing with this one too.
Bill, if you could measure for me , how far from the bulkhead your crankpulley BOLT is too, that would be a great help, as my bodywork isnt hear yet to check against, and i want to be sure this is going to fit before i assemble it. thanks

Eric,

With the shift rod fully extended, my G50 measures 27 1/4",

+or- 1/8".

The distance from my harmonic balancer bolt to the chassis

member at the bottom of the bulkhead is 5 1/4".

I hope that this helps you shoehorn a 6spd in there!

Bill

Thank you Bill, that is perfect. It is all apart right now but as best i can tell, after the rear mount is cut off and the shifter shortened, i am still 1.5" longer, cant be sure though, hard to measure peices. Eliminating the adapter plate will help and i have my engine 2" forward, I think this will work.
As for the electromotive set up, that would be too easy to just buy it and use it. http://www.squirrelpf.com/msavr/index.php?page=MS-AVR
when the version 3 comes out I will do this, with the coil on plug ignition.

In this months Car Craft mag (March) there is a good article (one of many), on Megasquirt, A True Low-Budget Multiport EFI System. Articles on Cam Basics, converting to a roller cam, and one on Secret Lobes (why roller cams make more power). Good reading
Bill

Hi Eric
How are the ratios of the 6 speed compared to 50 and 50/52 units.
Has the shoehorning gone well for you?
Anyone have the dimensions of the SB from rear face to front of heads and H/Bal?

Regards Des

G50 20 Transmission Gear Ratios: 3.818, 2.048, 1.407, 1.118, 0.928, 0.775
I have changed 1st gear to 3.00. the first 3 gears now closely resemble a Z06 vette, the last 3 tighten up alot but i think this should be a good combo. As for the shoehorning, i managed to stick my finger in the milling machine while it was turning, kind of slowed things down a bit if you know what i mean. If no one comes back with those measurements, i will check tonight for you.

Sorry, took me a while, total block length is 21", i have the short pulley setup from a 95 mustang wich adds another 5.5" from the block to the outside of the crank pulley. Finger works again.

Back