G50 w/LSD in GA

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
I bought my G50 from them, and I would only say that potential buyers should confirm the gearbox they are getting is the actual one shown in the ad. This company uses "stock" photos of gearboxes for their eBay ads, which may not reflect the ones being sold.

Here is an example: the photo of the box with the short tail is the box that was in their eBay ad and the one I thought I was buying from them. It was represented as a 1993 model with 51,000 miles on it.

The box in the crate (note the donut mount) is the one I received. Its serial tag showed: G5003 2 M01543.

When I challenged the owner about the switch, he said these boxes are just commodities, and he didn't keep track of S/N's, etc. and if I didn't like it, send it back.

Caveat Emptor

Attachments

• eBay G50.jpg
    eBay G50.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 421
  • G50 Received (Medium).jpg
    G50 Received (Medium).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 416

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I found when I was looking for transaxles that it was very difficult to get any meaningful information from GAD. To the extent that I completely disregarded any of their offerings. I don't think I'm the only one, I've noticed that their transaxles often fail to get any serious bids and frequently don't meet the reserve price. I am not surprised at Johns experience with them. I would not deal with them.

Cheers

Ron Earp

Admin
Maybe you guys should think about posting this in the Consumer Watch section. Transaxles are a big part of any of the cars we build.

Ron

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I am going to play devil's advocate here and start off with, "caveat emptor" is the word of the day when buying any used parts. That is why my signature line says, "Always verify parts or products discussed for your own use."

When you go to buy used parts, you had better know EXACTLY what you need. JohnC, I hate to say this, but you got EXACTLY what they said it was; any G50 transaxle after 1989 is going to have a long nose with the round mount! So, you really have NO reason to be pissed at GAD for sending you a '93 transaxle; they are a junk yard for crying out loud; albeit one that trades in high end parts, but still a junk yard.

They may have other issues and I am not defending them, in particular, but we can't expect them to know what we need; we have to know that.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn, I'll be the first to admit I am not an expert on G50 transaxles and their changes through the years, else perhaps I would have caught the fact (as you did) that the shortnose G50, being advertised as a '93 with 51,000 was BS.

So, my lack of knowledge makes it OK for them to run misleading ads? And it's also OK for them to ship me a '91 G50 in unknown condition with unknown mileage instead of the '93 model with 51,000 that was advertised in the ad, and which I thought I was buying?

I simply wanted to purchase what the vendor was advertising, not be baited with one thing, and sold something else.

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Gents, caveat emptor is a neat sounding legal phrase but it really doesn't add a lot, particularly where specific representations have been made by the vendor with regard to the item being sold. In other words, the vendor can say "caveat emptor" or "As-is" but that will not qualify or remove the significance or importance of representations made by the vendor about the item which the buyer relies upon. A picture is a legal representation upon which the buyer has a right to rely. Thus, not supplying a transaxle which looks exactly like the picture is a material misrepresentation and the buyer has a solid claim against the vendor for the full value of the item plus shipping costs. Any decent attorney located in proximity to the vendor here would have no problem securing a recovery.

That's what the law says. Whether you philosophically agree with it or not is a different question I think.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
This one was pulled out of the auction 1/2 hr before the end. Presumably sold off auction or maybe they didn't want it to go the full distance and risk not reaching reserve?

Cheers

Back